Doggie smell

Has anyone ever heard of rubbing baking soda into a dog's fur to get rid of the wet dog smell? I read it somewhere, but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried it.

dawpea

Asked by dawpea at 7:21 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Pets

• I don't see a problem with it at all. I have long haired dogs. Matter of fact, and don't have a heart attack if you work for a vet, but I bathe my dogs every weekend and have since they were a couple of months old and have NEVER had a problem with their skin.

Now not saying that each dog is diff. and the next Shih tzu I get might, but the two I have now get a bath with baby shampoo every week, and no skin problems. I'm with you, I want my dogs to smell good and be clean if they are going to be living in the house with me and my family.

Try this, when you shampoo your dog, be sure to shampoo 3 times. The first round gets the top layer of dirt. The second gets to the skin layer, and the 3rd removes all the dirt.

I have one idea, tho. If that doesn't do it, it might be your dogs ears. My last pup smelled and we couldn't find the prob. It was his ears. You can get a ear powder at Petsmart.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 3:21 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Baking soda is very drying to the skin. I wouldn't leave any baking soda on my dog. (if I had one!)
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:23 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I saw that on a baking soda box, but won't try it...thought I'm tempted with these stinky dogs sometimes! I don't know the PH of a dog's skin, but I imagine that baking soda is way off and will do more harm than good.
    MomEveryDay

Answer by MomEveryDay at 7:30 PM on May. 1, 2009

• No, but I think the smell goes away once they are dry. At least it's that way with my dog. When he's dirty, he smells like Fritos. He's a Beagle, and gets smelly quick.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 11:06 PM on May. 1, 2009

• yeah they don't smell when they dry...I wouldn't put that on their skin...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:43 AM on May. 2, 2009

• continued....Some dogs have to have their ear hair plucked. The ear wax that is normal and needs to be there can be pretty creepy smelling. Once we did this, my dogs smell like babies. :) We love it and so do our guests. Our home smells better too!
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 3:22 PM on May. 2, 2009

• i put baking soda on my dog sometimes b/c he hates water, just rub it in and brush him really good, baking soda is completely harmless.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:11 PM on May. 6, 2009