Did your breast fed baby ever do this?

My newborn's pediatrician said that baby will want to eat like once every hour to "store up" on food so he can sleep through the night...has your baby ever done that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ive never heard that . newborns are supposed to breastfeed every 2-3 hours even thru the night
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:33 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Mine eats all day long and sleeps for 5 hour stretches at night! I'm glad to do that!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:35 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Yes, eventually some will. They'll power nurse for a few hours on and off, if you let them feed on demand. My seven month old is doing it now. It's called cluster feeding. Don't be alarmed if yours doesn't, though. Either way is normal.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:41 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Sleeping through the night...the holy grail of parenthood.

Your doc's line is a new one on me.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:04 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Yes. :) My son did that a lot. Sometimes he'd sleep for four hours, sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes he'd nurse all day and then sleep more at night. I just kept track of the wet diaper counts and slept whenever I could. Sometime around 6 weeks it got a lot better (after the 6w growth spurt), then around 4 months it got even better.. Then it got worse around teething for a bit, then better. Now we're cutting the two year molars and it SUCKS. but even formula feeders go through that. :)
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 8:49 PM on May. 1, 2009

• O boy! My son did the same too... and is nursing "on demand" still. It seemed that he would eat every hour on the hour... and some days I would get nothing done because I just wanted him to sleep and would lay with him for hours while he rested in a semi-comma state until he decided he wanted to latch on again. It does get better like Gruntlings said above. Kaden is now 5.5 months and he nurses every 3-4 hours and it is more scheduled :)

So hang in there and I promise it will level off and you will feel less like a milk-wagon!!!
    laurenregister

Answer by laurenregister at 9:11 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Yes, it is called cluster feeding. In my experience this is with slightly older babies, not newborns. The important thing to remember in this newborn period is the "watch the baby not the clock". If baby wants to nurse 5 times in one hour and then go 3 hours before nursing again, and then nurse in one hour, that is fine. Don't expect any kind of schedule, just go with it! check out How often should I nurse my baby?

"During the early months, many babies do what is called 'cluster feeding;' spacing feedings closer together at certain times of the day (typically during the evening) and going longer between feedings at other times"

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:31 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Just nurse on demand, and always research any information doctors give on your own before trusting them! Those pediatricians are NOT trust-worthy with their parenting "advice". Leave the colds and ear infections to them and do the rest yourself.

Nurse when your baby wants, for as long as baby wants, and as often as baby wants, no questions asked!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on May. 2, 2009