how do you potty train a 2 year old with autism, since they can't speak?

harley5850

Asked by harley5850 at 7:29 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I guess this is a question above the scope of my expertise, I suggest you to call a developmental pediatrician and ask her. Remember that every autistic child is different and you may need to experiment what what works for him/her. If you know one autistic child, you know just one autistic child is not a one size fits all.

Also remember that potty training can be very frustrating even with children who are talking, so be prepared and armed with lots of love and lots of patience. I think there is a group here in cafe mom of moms of autistic children they have being very useful and kind to me in the past. I hope this helps.

Good luck and mama, my heart goes to you and I salute you for all your handwork.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 7:43 PM on May. 1, 2009

• This is an interesting question to me since my doc mentioned I need to be look out for a possible mild autism because of the way my daughter slaps herself.

Anyway, she's only 20 months, so while she is learning words, she hasn't figured out how to tell us when she's filled a diaper.

But we've managed to get her to go in the potty about twice a day so far.

When we saw her get all red-faced and grunting, we just ran her to the toilet. Then we started putting her on between diaper changes, and when she happens to pee, we clap and sing her praises. She doesn't go every time we put her on, but she does seem to test her "potty muscles" every time now to see if she's got anything to get out.

Anyway, if you can't even get your kid to sign to go to the potty, you could try just sitting him on the potty at regular enough intervals. If you can get him to figure out, this is when to flex those muscles, it could work.

Anonymous

• My son has autism and was potty trained within the first few months of turning 3. We did what's called 'trip training' with him. He was non-verbal at the time. You can google that to get more detailed info, but basically you take him to the potty every hour on the hour and make them sit on the potty for a few minutes. Eventually they will go on the potty and when they do you reward them with something they really like (tickles, candy, a fun toy, whatever it is they really like). When they have accidents you don't say a whole lot, just 'pee-pee on the potty' and sit him on the potty. After a while they get the hang of it. Going #2 on the potty was a bit harder, but luckily he started going at the same time every day so I was able to sit him on the potty around that time every day before he went and after a week or so he got the hang of it. It helps to keep a really fun toy in the bathroom that he can ONLY have when he's there.
    Norest4mommy

Answer by Norest4mommy at 12:29 AM on May. 3, 2009