Should he have gone to school?

Okay, here's the situation. My 7 yr old got diarrhea last night around 7 pm. Then he started coughing and complained of a sore throat this morning (the diarrhea was gone by this point). I decided to keep him home. His dad disagreed and said he should go to school, that the school would call if he was to sick to be there. I still think I was right to keep him home. What do you think? By the way, he had no fever, chills, or vomiting.

gabenmikeysmom

Asked by gabenmikeysmom at 8:23 PM on May. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agree with you.
    Anonymous

• I think that you are the mom, I assume nobody knows your son better than you, not even your DH because he is not as much with your son. So, don't second guess your decision, you acted with your son's best interest at heart and your DH will just have to accept that some things just come with the territory.

Put your foot down and let him know exactly that nobody knows your son's better than you and he could be more supportive of your decisions which are made with your son's bets interest at heart. And in some cases, yes you alone will have to make executive decisions wich won't be popular but darn it, this isn't a democracy and when it comes to your son's health you won't be taking polls. DH will get the point. Go mama bear.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 8:27 PM on May. 1, 2009

• You are the mother, you know your son more than anyone. I can see why you kept him home. There are many occasions where children will have diarrhea or a cough one night, feel better the next morning and get sick again later in the day. There was nothing wrong with keeping him home. You just don't want to take chances.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 8:32 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I agree, he should have stayed home. If more parents would keep their sick kids home, less sickness would spread!
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 9:15 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Stay home. Especially if he was feeling bad. He probably wouldn't have been able to concentrate very well anyway. I actually allow my kids each one non-sick day to stay home each year. I feel that sometimes you just need a break. If the stress is too much, then take a personal day. (obviously, I keep up with what's going on as far as testing, grades, etc)
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 11:34 PM on May. 1, 2009

• its up to u but i would have asked him and then gave him cough syrup and a cough drop and sent him to school.
    lienna

Answer by lienna at 12:05 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Check the school policy. Usually you want to keep kids home 24 hrs after vomitting or diahrea.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:26 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Diarrhea...no school for 24 hours.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:55 AM on May. 2, 2009

• A child with a virus has a weakened immune system, making the child much more likely to pick up another virus. This is true for adults, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:00 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I most likely would have sent him, perhaps for maybe just half of the day. My rule of thumb for my kiddos was if you weren't throwing up and were not running a fever, they needed to at least try to go and make it through the day. Or maybe just bring them in late, and of course if needed i would come and get them if needed. I always felt that if they got up and moving around and into their routine, they could handle it. I really wanted to teach them the responsibility they had by being in school (just like work someday) was really important. But by ALL means you know YOUR son and whatever choice you made was right for you both! I hope everyone is feeling better now! :)
    PamelaJBox

Answer by PamelaJBox at 9:42 AM on May. 2, 2009