My daughter has not pooped in two days, she is only breast feeding. Is this serious? Should I take her to the doctor or should I wait until tomorrow morning?

MsSamanthaGrace

Asked by MsSamanthaGrace at 8:30 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hi. my dd was only breastfed and i had the same problem when she was about 3-4 months. she hadnt pooped in about 3 days and i took her to the er..only to find out that it was normal in breastfed babies. as soon as we got home that night she pooped! the doc said it was normal no worries!
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 8:32 PM on May. 1, 2009

• How old is she?
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:34 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I would call and ask to make sure. I remember when my so was tat young he needed to wet like 12 diapers and I don't remember how many BM's call and ask. Better to be safe then sorry.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 8:34 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Try drinking apple juice :P That's what they tell you to give your baby if you want them to poop...or oranges. My son went 2 weeks without a bowel movement, I was freaking out, had called the drs and everything, and was told it was ok, just to give him apple juice, or prunes. (pureed.) He pooped, and I remember saying "OH Hunny he pooped today!" and being so excited. He was about 6 mos old when that happened..
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:35 PM on May. 1, 2009

• EBF babies can safely go up to 10 days without a bowel movement, as long as when they do go, it's not dry, hard, or pellet like.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:35 PM on May. 1, 2009

• My doctor says you don't really worry till 2 WEEKS! I was floored. My daughter was very regular and then around 4 months (she was EBF, not on solids), she all the sudden moved to once a week! No worries.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:39 PM on May. 1, 2009

• its completely normal. because breastmilk is almost totally digested, there is very little waste left over, so after the initial period when there is still traces of colostrum in your milk, its very common for breastfed babies to go for 10 days or so with out pooping. both of my children were like this, and as long as baby isnt in distress when trying to push or actually pooping dry pellet -like poos, they are fine.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 8:44 PM on May. 1, 2009

• My son is just about 6 months and he does the same thing every few days. I brought him to the doctor and they told me it is normal and since he too is breast only... I got nervous. They can go 3 days sometimes and then have a movement (normal). I would try and stimulate my son's movement with a little vasaline and a thermometer. It worked like a charm :) Just be ready for a quick release of air and possibly a movement right away. My mom is a nurse and recomended it... but you can always call your doctor and see what they say :) I would not try any supositories or anything harsh unless your doctor recomends it. Hope this helps!
    laurenregister

Answer by laurenregister at 8:44 PM on May. 1, 2009

• My daughters baby is 7 weeks, he had the same problem with a very sore belly to go with it. His doctor said he is getting the hind milk now more and his bowels are changing, takes some getting used to but not to worry unless it goes more than 4-5 days, then I would give doc a call... Hope this helped..
    nailladi

Answer by nailladi at 9:34 PM on May. 1, 2009

• My son would go 3 days without pooping quite a bit when I was EBF, this didn't happen after he started eating solids though so if he is young then I think it's normal.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 9:53 PM on May. 1, 2009