Would you die for your beliefs?

Okay, this is a funky question. I was thinking about the beliefs/facts questions today and I was thinking about I book I recently read about a man in China who faced this situation (Safely Home, by Randy Alcorn).

If someone told you that you needed to renounce your faith in your religion or die, what would you do?

I know it sounds far fetched because we live in a country where we have the freedoms to practice whatever we want, but there are people dying for there faith right now.

I don't want your answer to be that you would be dying for "religious freedom" so for the sake of the discussion we will say that the person who is threatening you is a madman, not the government. So the only reason you will choose death is because you refuse to say you don't believe in your religion.

What would you do? Do you believe in your religion or atheism so much that you would stand for it even if it cost you your life?

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 8:34 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yay!!! I didn't post anonymously-accidentally again!!!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 8:34 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I have a family to think of so no, I wouldn't die for it. I might give lip service to renouncing my atheism if I had a gun to my head but in my heart I would always be one and that could never be taken away.

deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:43 PM on May. 1, 2009

• No, I would die for my kids though.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 8:47 PM on May. 1, 2009

• The only things in the entire world I would die for, would be my kids. Yes, I'd renounce my faith (I'm not religious, though, so...) in a heartbeat. My kids and my husband need me.
    misselphaba

Answer by misselphaba at 8:47 PM on May. 1, 2009

• yes I would, it's our being Faithful under trail not just when things are going great, many of our Brothers and sisters in Germany were tortured and some even killed for not going to war or saying Heil Hitler, their children taken away and were even placed in the concentration camps until they would renounce their religion, most would not. I read some of the books written by the ones who lived through it including one about a Jewish man who became one of JW's because of what he saw and learned from them while in the camps....
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 8:48 PM on May. 1, 2009

• In the tradition of my ancestors I would smile and nod and tell the oppressive invaders what they wanted to hear, then actively work to subvert all their own practices from inside until my holidays were their holidays. ;)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:51 PM on May. 1, 2009

• No, Id not die for my beliefs.
    My words would be hollow and have meaning only in the sense that it would make my captors feel better and keep me alive(hopefully).
    My heart and soul will believe what they believe no matter what comes out of my mouth.

My sons are the only things Id die or kill for.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:51 PM on May. 1, 2009

• yep
    Anonymous

• I would not die for my beliefs. I would die for my children in a heart beat.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:07 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I would never denounce my faith. God is above all, above our children, husbands, family, etc. God sent His One and Only Son to die on the cross for all of us, that we might be saved from damnation; so how could I not die for Him? I would gladly die for my faith, with a smile on my face! If you're not willing to die for your faith, do you really HAVE faith???
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:19 PM on May. 1, 2009