What is your feeling on hand sanitizer?

What do you think about hand sanitizer? Up until this "swine flu" stuff, I've refused to let my kids use it at school. My son simply goes to the bathroom to wash his hand and skips the sanitizer when he gets in line for lunch. Now, I've told him he can use it as long as he's washing his hands as well. I just don't like that the sanitizer kills the good bacteria along with the bad. What do you think? Do you let your kids use it? All the time? Or only when there's not soap and water available?

gabenmikeysmom

Asked by gabenmikeysmom at 8:45 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Health

• My son is only two so he's obviously not in school yet, but we live in a small town and like to go "gravel roading" and hiking in the woods a lot. So I keep a small thing of it in my purse just for use when soap and water aren't available. For the most part though, I feel the same as you. There just isn't a replacement for soap and water.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:50 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I don't think I ever really thought about it, but my son's not school age yet, and we wash his hands fairly regularly with soap and water, or in an emergency just a baby wipe, but when we go to the park I use hand sanitizer before I give him his snack..
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:51 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I'm ok with it, but I don't think it kills viruses....which is what swine flu is....so if it's only antibacterial, then that would mean that it doesn't protect against flu or colds right!?...just things like strep...I think.
    beth0828

Answer by beth0828 at 8:56 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I have a travel size one in my purse for accidents or anything..my son is 16months so he will pick up nasty things and we arent always near a bathroom. I prefer to use soap and water because all the alcohol in the sanitizers worries me if he rubs his eyes or something, or puts it in his mouth.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 8:58 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I always have some but we only use it if the bathrooms ae nasty.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:02 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Only when there is not soap and water.
    lincsmom74

Answer by lincsmom74 at 12:43 AM on May. 2, 2009

• im a nursing student and I use hand sanitizer ALL THE TIME.. it is clinically proven to kill viruses and germs. The pros FAR outweigh the cons. As for the part where you said it kills the good bacteria I've never heard someone say that before. Its just like useing soap but with no water. If you are useing hand soap it is most likely an "antibacterial hand soap" which is the same as hand sanitzer.. The only bad thing that can come from hand sanitizer is if your child drinks it. That can be deadly and very serious. We had an infant come into the ER and had drank an entire bottle of it and had severe alcohol poisoning. You need to be careful and tell your child what can happen if they drink it.
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 1:02 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I think that hand sanitizer is used way too much. With that being said, however, I have on occasion used it on myself and my son. But only when soap and water were not available or some regular baby wipes would I use it. The use or overuse of hand sanitizer has formed a super bug (just my opinion).
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 2:14 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I never use it so my kids never use it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:23 AM on May. 2, 2009

• It is evil, creating superbugs that will some day wipe out humanity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on May. 2, 2009