My son is 2 and half and will not poop on the potty...He will pee but not poop. We have tried almost everything at this point and can not figure out how to get him going. Any advise would be GREATLY APPRECIATED?!!

meagen22

Asked by meagen22 at 9:00 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This may sound odd but start by having him sit on the potty with his diaper on to poop then transition into still having the diaper on but cutting a hole in the butt so he still feels like he is wearing a diaper then when he is used to the poop falling out take off the diaper.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 12:29 AM on May. 2, 2009

• :) Just talk about it. Talk about peeing and pooping on the potty. Let him see YOU poop or pee on the potty (the adult potty, obviously). He'll do it when he's ready. You can do diaper-off time whenever possible. If he has an accident, don't make a big deal out of it. Just say "Whoops! Maybe next time you can make it to the potty." and clean it up.

I took this approach with my son, and he pretty much completely potty trained himself at 27 months. We're still working on the whole "If you're wearing underpants, it's not a diaper and you have to remember to go to the potty" thing. He's trained IF he's naked. Not so much if he's not.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 9:15 PM on May. 1, 2009

• My step-mom used the sticker chart with my sister. It worked wonderfully! Every time she pooed on the potty she got a sticker and when she filled up the chart she got a big prize.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 9:49 PM on May. 1, 2009