Am I crazy for not wanting an epidural?

lol everyone tells me I am....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, you are not crazy. There are many different ways to deal with the pain of labor. My suggestion is to look for a doula or midwife who can help you with that and teach you the many ways you can lessen the pain and take your mind off of it - for the most part anyway.
    You will still feel pain and there will come a point when you think you can't stand it anymore. But if you are determined to go through the whole labor without an epidural then you need to go within yourself (self-meditation) and stick it out. Believe it or not, after the pain crescendo's in labor it actually lessens (or you get used to it) just before delivery and you are able to deal with it.
    I had my first child 100% pain med free and I know it can be done.

BUT, there is NO shame in asking for an epidural at any point during your labor. ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:13 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Do you like PAIN ? lol, JK
    I definitely plan to have one... lol
    kframpton

Answer by kframpton at 9:09 PM on May. 1, 2009

• No, its a nice thought to have a drug-free birth. I wanted to have my little boy without any drugs....thank god they let you change your mind!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:10 PM on May. 1, 2009

• If you can go through labor naturally...all the power to you.

I had to have an epidural because the pain was unbearable.
    Anonymous

• I don't think so!! I didn't have one only because I'm afraid of needles, if I wasn't I would get one in a heart beat
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 9:10 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I wasn't going to, then I did. But looking back, I know I can handle it without one for #2.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:10 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Lol, no you're not crazy! Every kept on telling me that I would want one in the end, but nope, I held out. No way I want a needle in my spine, much less a string dropped down into my spinal fluid. NOPE! I was doing 100% natural and drug-free, but my BP got too high, so they made me get the staydol (demerol) shot.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:10 PM on May. 1, 2009

• i have 2 - they both were drug-free : )
    i plan on this third baby that's coming in August being that way too!
    amommy01

Answer by amommy01 at 9:11 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I don't think so. I had one and I'm glad I did because I ended up having to have a c-section, but I say to every woman who can do it naturally, Kudos to you.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:13 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I had hoped for a natural birth but wound up getting just the opposite. The pain was untolerable because my son got stuck. Maybe the epi was a good decision for that reason and also because of the c-section. There was no way that I could have been in the horrible pain I was, bend over and have to wait to get an epi while my son was stuck in my birth canal...*shudders*
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 9:40 PM on May. 1, 2009