What is better, episiodomy or tearing?

my doctor says tearing is about 100% safer with less risks and complications.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• my doc doesn't do episiotomies. think about it like a piece of fabric, if you pull and stretch a piece of fabric, it may or may not tear depending on how much pressure (pull/stretch) is put on it. but if you cut a small slit at the top of the fabric, and then pull it is definitely going to tear more. you'll end up having a longer tear with an episiotomy, than you would (or maybe wouldn't) with leaving it alone. i hope i explained that right. i think a lot of doc do them because of pure laziness, and trying to hurry things along. i did tear, but i'm glad my doc didn't cut!
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 11:07 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I didn't get an episiodomy last time and was somehow lucky enough not to tear...hopefully I won't ever be able to give an honest answer to that question!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:11 PM on May. 1, 2009

• ahh! omG just the thought is painful.. i was lucky enough to have neither.

i would think that a cut wouldn't hurt as much as your skin ripping apart. being an actual 'cleaner cut' and all. although, i could be wrong.
    Anonymous

• Tearing
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 9:13 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Unfortunately, I had BOTH with BOTH of my kiddos!! It HURTS highly AND what was even worse, after my second kiddo, the tearing didnt "heal properly" so I had major infections for the first 3-4 months. I was on medication.

This is not something you can just up and choose what you want but seriously I wish I could as I would have chosen NEITHER! LoL
    SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 9:16 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I got an episiodomy, and it healed rather nicely...so I'm not sure about tearing.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:23 PM on May. 1, 2009

• A lot of time an episiotomy is unnecessary. I had a big one with my first because my doctor was in a hurry. I had only been pushing for five minutes when he gave me it. I think I could have pushed him out without or with very minimal tearing, My episiotomy was very painful for an entire year afterward, sex hurt for a long time and I feel like my relationship with my dh suffered.
    I refused to have one with my other pregnancies. I would rather take the risk of tearing, because you might or might not tear. If you get an episiotomy you have no other option than to be cut.
    I like the odds of not tearing more than the guarantee of a cut with an episiotomy.
    Good luck.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:29 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I tore. I have always heard it is easier healing, too. I wouldn't have them cut me, because ya never know, you may not even tear, or not as much as they cut.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:30 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I had an episiotomy and was told it was best because tearing can be jagged where a clean cut is easier to sew. All I can say is after that, sex hurt and was no longer enjoyable. I never "stretched back out" like the doc said I would. Maybe that's why I don't miss having sex.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 9:34 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I had neither. I hope I don't with this birth. Ouch!
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 9:39 PM on May. 1, 2009