What is your experience with tests for Dawn Syndrom?

I am 32; this is my first pregnancy. I have been very calm till I saw the OB for the first time. Now all I think is everything that can go wrong with the baby. The tests are expensive, and my insurance does not cover any prenatal care. Besides, the doctor said all these tests may increase the risk of miscarriage. I guess I am just looking for the "second opinion" from other moms who have been through all the testing.

marpu76

Asked by marpu76 at 9:40 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I didn't do the test for Down Syndrome. I figured, either way, I'd love my baby.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 9:41 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I didnt do the tests either
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:43 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I prefer not to do the test either, no matter what i would love it more than anything.
    jasesmommy0529

Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 9:43 PM on May. 1, 2009

• And I suggest, depending on how much you make to get a secondary insurance if not switching insurances. Maybe try to get medicare or highmark has a special care program for low income families, but I dont know your financial situation
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:44 PM on May. 1, 2009

• You can actually tell by facial features (sometimes) on an ultrasound. And your OB is right. The tests done during pregnancy does increase risks. I would just relax and enjoy your pregnancy. don't worry about anything/everything that could/couldn't go wrong with your pregnancy. every mom-to-be feels this way. you just have to take it as it comes. be patient and calm.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:44 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I wouldnt get the test done if i were you, I had it done just to get it done because my insurance covered it, but it does nothing but stress you out and thats not good for you or the baby, like all these women are saying you're going to love your baby regardless how he comes out
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 9:46 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I didn't do the tests either. many of them give false positives and I didn't want to spend my pregnancy worrying about anything...plus I would have loved her regardless.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:46 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I was 25 and preg for the first time and I needed to have the amnio test because one of my blood tests showed poss down sydrome. I chose to have the test done. I was totally freaking out and scared and wanted to know. And it was nothing. I've had pap smears that were more uncomfortable. Whatever you decide, I will cross my fingers for you:)
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:17 PM on May. 1, 2009

• i got the test done cus my boyfriend told me too, i havent got the results back but im scared, i mean ill love the baby either way, but i hear alot of times it comes back possitive and when the baby is born there is nothing wrong and im scared its going to come back possitive and im going to worry and then it will be for nothing cus the baby wont have a thing. i wish i wouldnt have done it :)
    mommy2be1308

Answer by mommy2be1308 at 10:45 PM on May. 1, 2009