How can I get my puppy to use the bathroom outside?

I take her oustide and walk for about a half an hour to an hour and she doesn't do anything but as soon as i bring her inside she uses the bathroom.

Bytch_mom_08

Asked by Bytch_mom_08 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Pets

• Take the pup outside and walk around when he goes give lots of praise. Decide what word you are going to use for "it". We say "go poo poo". When the pup does his business...repeat "good poo poo". With a very high excited voice. Keep telling him this every time he goes outside and he will know that this is praised and desired behavior.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Ok I have an 8 month old pitbull puppy and I just recently trained him. If he uses the potty in the house this is what I did for him. He peed or pooed I said " No Bad Soldier...Bad Dog." I only spanked him once one the butt and then put him out side. I did that every time he went in the house and it worked well. And everytime he went outside he got treats and tons a praise. Now you can also try taking you dog out an hour to an hour and 1/2 after he eats and drinks. That way he'll get the idea. And I agree with the woman above. I say to my dog " Outside?? You want outside??" in a high pitched excited voice and he now gets the idea. Make sure you use 1 word so that the dog associates that with going out or potty. I hope this works for ya it may take awhile.
    CuteCowgirlMami

Answer by CuteCowgirlMami at 9:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• We got our dog the same time we were potty training our kids... so the word became "potty". (because we were using it for the kids) We at night would cage him in his kennel, mainly to keep him from going potty in the house. I read in one of the puppy books that they don't like to pee or poo where they sleep. We also would kennel him when we left the house for the same reasons.

I would also when you take her out keep her out until she does potty then praise her with lots of love and a small treat. She'll get it :) Good Luck
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:35 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• oh I just want to add that I watch him all the time and if I caught him starting to go I would yell no and take him out until he went, then I would praise him.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• how old is the pup? it is a 'general' rule of thumb that puppies can hold their bladder for as many hours as they are months in age. ex, 2 months old = 2 hours holding time. keep in mind they do have to go within 1/2 an hour after eating usually. take the puppy outside often, stay outside until he 'goes' then praise him a LOT. try to prevent the house accidents as much as possible so he learns outside is the place to be. :) good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• http://www.amazon.com/How-Housebreak-Your-Days-Revised/dp/0553382896
    You must follow it as closely as possible regardless of how much of a pain it is
    georgeswife5014

Answer by georgeswife5014 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 24, 2008