The scales lie!!

The first time I went to the gym, about a month and a half ago, the scale said I weighted 150. I knew it was 140 or 150, so it didn't surprise me. I've been working out five times a week for at least 30 minutes. Eating better, I cut out carbs and most dairy-such as whole milk-I switched to fat free. I cut out the bad fats I was eating before. I'm on a roll!!

BUT!!!

When I went to the doctor on Thursday, their scale said 175. What the hell! I know I haven't gained much muscle because I don't lift weights enough to do gain that much, just to tone and tighten. I mostly do cardio, which I know builds some muscle. My pants fit better and I feel great. I can already fit in some of my old jeans.

So which one was right? One scale was a balancing one (gym) and the other was a digital (doctors).

sarapurser

Asked by sarapurser at 9:43 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• personally i think the balancing are a little more accurate.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 9:45 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Maybe you've gained more muscle weight than you thought. If you look better and you feel better then don't worry about it! It's how you feel that matters!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:46 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Retaining water and muscle mass
    Anonymous

• Something doesn't seem right with your doctor's scale. Muscle does weigh more than fat but that is a lot of weight for it to be muscle. Something may be wrong with the digital. It's just like a thermometer, I don't trust the digital ones. I prefer the glass. The balancing is way more accurate. I'm surprised your doctor used the digital. Mine has always used the balancing one as well as the gym I go to.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 9:49 PM on May. 1, 2009

• 25 pounds worth of water? I think not. I drink enough, but not that much. I'm not about to be on the rag or anything either. And I really don't think it's muscle because I know I haven't done enough to get muscle..just to tighten. I think the balancing ones are more accurate too. I think I'm going to ask my trainer to weigh me again on Monday. Maybe that'll ease my mind about it .
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 9:50 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I know what you mean. I weighed myself before i took a shower today and the scale said 141. I weighed myself after my shower because I was so excited I lost 4 pounds...the scale said 144! WTH! LOL! Scales sure as heck do lie!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:51 PM on May. 1, 2009

• It depends on what time of month as well. Muscle mass, you have been working out and your clothes fit better, thats what counts. The numbers will go down soon enough. Just keep up the awesome work. Congrats on getting healthier.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:51 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Why are your responses always so mean?
    Anonymous

• Mine? How was that/they mean?
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 11:39 PM on May. 1, 2009