Original names?

When you picked your child/ren's name, did you pick something you thought was original only to find out there are lots of people with your kid's name?

Deidra08

Asked by Deidra08 at 9:55 PM on May. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• actually I havent met a "Sid" yet! and many elders tell me that they havent heard that name in a long time!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:58 PM on May. 1, 2009

• We picked a name that is original to our families. Our DD's name has never been used in either of our families before.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:04 PM on May. 1, 2009

• yes i though jaydon and mehkai were original until one day at the park there was a lady calling jaydon mehkai! come here! and i was about to flip thinking she was calling my sons- come to find out her boys were both named the same names as mines- later on while telling this story to my friend- she told me yeah those names are all over the place now! lol
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:13 PM on May. 1, 2009

• When I had our 2nd son we also had a 6 yr old, so we let him pick his name, he picked Jacob, that was in 2002, I had NO idea that was one of the most popular names for 2001/2002... There are 4 Jacobs in his class,lol
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:31 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I wasn't really looking for original names. My boys are Nicholas and Lucas. I met a grandmother at the park one day that had a Nicholas with her. She said her daughter was about to have another boy, and they were considering Lucas. I think any name has the potential to become common.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:42 PM on May. 1, 2009

• my daughter is names madelyn marie. I have only met a few madelyn's I also work at a daycare so it was hard to pick a baby name....if i had a boy it would have been patrick joseph due to my so's grandpa's
    Madelyn_Marie

Answer by Madelyn_Marie at 10:50 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I've never met anyone in my life with my daughter's name and it's in the 800s in the S.S. website's list. So while it is a known name, it is not common.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:12 PM on May. 1, 2009

• i have a helena (hell-AA-nuh) and i hadn't met one person in my entire life with this name (but i had heard of it in other countries, like sweden) and sure enough i was at the grocery store and there was a little girl named helena! and we have an asher. i know of 3 other ashers, but he is the oldest.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:47 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I have a Tyler and it isn't all that popular. When I picked his name, I knew no one named Tyler and I now know only a few. He is original as is his name.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:06 AM on May. 2, 2009

• i chose alexis...i only know of one other alexis, a girl i used to go to school with..but since i had my daughter 5 years ago, lotsa my friends have used different variations of it..one person used it as her daughters middle name, another used lexi for her dog, one used lexis for his dog, and another used lexi as their daughters name..so yaaaaaaa...
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:40 AM on May. 2, 2009