What does ear drainage mean?

My son has an ear infection and now his ear is draining. It has been draining a clear yellow fluid all evening. It has not stopped since it started. Is this normal? Is that much normal? He's never had an ear infection before so I don't know what to expect.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• IDK - but it does not sound all that good. I would call doc first thing unless he is in pain I would go to ER - NO QUESTION.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 10:23 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I think I'd go to the ER as well. My son had lots of ear infections as a baby and he never had drainage. But maybe that's good that it's draining. But I would want to be sure. Goodluck
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:36 PM on May. 1, 2009

• If he isn't in pain, I would think it is just excess fluid in his ear draining out. You could call the doctor or if your insurance has one, call the nurse line and ask what you could do. The nurse lines are awesome and very helpful. Hope he feels better soon.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:53 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Does he have Tubes
    irishluck112211

Answer by irishluck112211 at 5:29 PM on May. 3, 2009