I want to move my 11 month old into a crib (from my bed), but he's too tall for them. What do I do?

I've come to a point where I'd like to move my son out of my bed and into a crib, but his crib isn't safe and I don't think any of them will be. He's 33inches tall already and growing about an inch a month. The tallest crib I found was for a baby 35 inches tall. I don't know what to do. I'd like to try putting him down sleepy but not asleep. Wow! I just realized this is the smaller of the problems i face. Get this, he won't go to sleep without nursing and he still wakes every 2 hours. I just don't know where to start. I thought i'd try to move him to a crib in my room just so i wouldn't be tempting him with my boobs all night. HELP me!

MaMaMo531

Asked by MaMaMo531 at 10:25 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would start with moving him to the crib and so that you aren't nursing all night long. He is more than capable of sleeping through the night w/o using your boobs as a pacifier. The next thing would be to start looking for something so that he can stay in the crib until he is ready for a toddler bed. Our crib is at least 4 ft long. Yes putting him to bed sleepy but not asleep will help. I wish you all the luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:29 PM on May. 1, 2009

• WOW Momma , have you mabye thought about a twin maybe double size bed?? :)

He needs to be out of your bed but you already know that....Oh boy I cant think right off hand what to do but I do know, you are going to have one pissed off kid when you decide to make the move. Good Luck to you. I hope you get some good responses with this.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 10:31 PM on May. 1, 2009

• And dont forget You are the BOSS and You CAN DO IT!!! :)
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 10:32 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Oh baby are you gonna have a time of it. I say cut off nursing at night right now! He really is too big for that and the longer you wait, the harder it gets. He will be irate of course, but he will get over it. And maybe all the night time feeding is making him bigger than he normally would have been.
    Anonymous

• Check out Setting Limits on Nighttime Nursing

Lots of great info on weaning a one year old from nighttime nursing.

He will not continue to grow an inch a month.  HIs growth is going to slow down a lot at this age. 

You can always put a mattress on the floor for him.

BTW, you don't "need" to get him out of your bed, but is you want to then it is time.  Sleeping together and letting your baby nurse during the night is good for them.  He will benefit from all of the great attention he has gotten these past 11 months!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:40 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Thank you! I wouldn't mind him sleeping in my bed if he could just STAY asleep. I just don't know how to get him to stop waking. I thought the best solution was to create some distance. But even that might not work for this guy. He has a lot of separation anxiety right now. I don't want to make it worse for him.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 10:45 PM on May. 1, 2009

• HEY - JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING.............. Try giving him a bottle with a little watered down formula and each night put more water in it until he figures out that this milk sucks and does not bother to wake up.

OR TRY = giving him a passy instead of boob. maybe that would work. Your main thing, I think is= try to get him to sleep through night. Once that happens the rest will just fall into place.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 11:22 PM on May. 1, 2009

• If you're breastfeeding, WHY would you give a watered down bottle of formula????? WHY would you introduce a passy at 11 months???????

Dr. Jay Gordon has excellent info on night weaning. We did this at nine months since I was pregnant with mono. You're doing it at a better time. You don't need to get him out of your bed, but if you want to, then now is the time. My two year old just moved to her own bed two months ago. She sleeps through the night on her own.

Don't think of this as a discipline problem that you must be the boss of. If your child has coslept with you for this long, I'm sure you recognize he is a person that needs to feel safe at night, too. Any change in night time habits takes time. Don't let others bully you into a night time situation that you don't like.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:42 PM on May. 1, 2009

• He can go in a crib. The AAP recommends keeping kids in cribs until 3 years old. If you are concerned about him climbing out, get a crib tent.

Remember, once he's in a bed, falling out of bed is the least of your worries. He will have the full run of his room and the house at all hours of the night. He will be able to climb his dresser, swing on the clothes in his closet, open the cupboards and dump out all the contents, figure out how to unlock the front door and play outside.
    Remember, baby proofing items are designed to keep an infant safe in the few minutes it takes you to spot the trouble and stop it. Read the packages. They are not designed to keep a curious, bored, unsupervised toddler safe while they try to figure out how to defeat the baby proofing lock. And your child is unsupervised all night while you are asleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:16 AM on May. 2, 2009

• My son is about around your sons height maybe a few inches more and he is 18 months old. And I never owned a crib but I have a playard. He doesnt try to climb out or anything. He stands and sits in there just fine and sleeps in there fine. Sometimes he does sleep with me but when he falls asleep I pick him up carefully so I dont wake him and I lay him in his playard with his bear and leave him next to my bed. He sleeps all night in it and does fine to me. Have you tried a cheap playard? There are regular cheap ones without the top bassinet part at kmart and walmart. The pad is hard but thats why I put a nice comforter down and he likes it. He's been sleeping in it all his life. LOL. Still been going good after all these months. I just let him sleep with me if he's sick so we can cuddle. :) But I plan to buy him a toddler bed with rails soon so he can be a big boy. lol
    bisbeesmiley

Answer by bisbeesmiley at 1:07 AM on May. 2, 2009