This is strange, but my tongue is swollen.

Not so that it's blocking my throat, but it's swollen. This isn't the first time it's happened, and I guess it could be allergies. But the sides, and tip, all around is scalloped. And it hurts to eat or drink because then the sides rubs my teeth. Does this happen to anyone else?

Buffie95

Asked by Buffie95 at 10:49 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Health

• You could have a condition called "Geographic tongue". Sounds weird I know. I worked for a dentist. Does it hurt when you eat spicy food? Or when you drink something warm or hot? It's not deadly or anything, it just flares up here and there. Either that, or you eat something that you don't know your allergic to and it swells up. Whenever my mom eats peanut butter her tongue swells a little. And she knows it's from Peanut butter! My nutty mom.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:56 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I hadn't thought about that, I have seasonal allergies, and had a mild allergic rxn to amox once. But other then that I've never been allergic to foods and such. I don't think I ate anything spicy, except for dinner, and my tongue was already like this. I didn't eat anything strong, no citrus. IDK. I guess I can look it up, and talk with my doc about it. And the dentist. Thanks!
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 11:04 PM on May. 1, 2009

• No alarm, but I'd get it checked.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:35 PM on May. 1, 2009

• get it checked ASAP. There are lots of reasons for a swollen tongue some or more benign but some are serious.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 12:02 AM on May. 2, 2009