Can't afford a good toddler car seat. Help!

So my little one has grown out of his car seat and is pretty much in desperate need of a new one... but we're flat broke. My Dh just got hired at his new job, but with the way our finances are going it doesn't look like we'll be able to pay for anything extra like a new car seat for a while but I'm so worried because my boy is now just a few pounds under the weight limit for his current one.

So now that I'm finished with my sob story.... where can I find a good toddler car seat on a really tight budget?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Check out resale shops that specialize in children's merchandise.
    Anonymous

• Call your local Health Dept. they offer the proper carseats for only $25.00. Plus they make sure it is properly installed for you.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:53 PM on May. 1, 2009

• try freecycle, if you're not a member of yahoo groups, sign up at www.yahoogroups.com for me in Rio Rancho, NM we have a freecycleriorancho group, everything on there has to be free, I got a toddler car seat for free from a free cycler it's used but it fantastic shape and has the 5 point harness
    Anonymous

• Do you have aGoodwill or Salvation Army near you?
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 11:01 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Craigslist
    Anonymous

• If you have enough money to pay for the internet, you have enough to buy a carseat. Sell something if needed.
    Anonymous

• walmart brand carseats usually only run about $30-$40. may mean you don't get something one pay day, be it sodas or something else but the car seats more important
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:22 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Cosco scenars is under $50. Car seats aren't something to skimp on by buying a used one. You don't know if it's been in a wreck or not. You don't need a pricey one. The safest car seat is the one properly installed in your car. I am sure your local health department or police department will give you one if you truly can't afford one.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:37 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Contact your local police department. I know that some of our area police departments offer free car seats and will even install them for you by someone that is certified in car seat safety. Good luck and I hope that this helps.

If this doesn't work, check out your local garage sales.
    dre0914

Answer by dre0914 at 11:42 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I got a cosco scenera for about $60 I believe. It's a convertible carseat which is great because you can leave them rearfacing for up to 35 pounds(75% safer than forward facing), and then it front faces up to 60 or 65 pounds, cant remember which one.

Do what you need to do to get your son a carseat. Keeping your son safe is much more valuable than any amount of money.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:30 AM on May. 2, 2009