5mt old still eats every 2-3hours at night!!! help!!!

my son is 5 mos old next week. but at 3mos he was sleeping 7hrs strait and sence then it has went to 6,5,4,3, now 2 hours sometimes every hour he wakes to eat! he is e breast feed and eats rice, and veggys at dinner. he has always eat every 2 hours since birth during the day. but this night thing is getting to me! and when i pump every now and then, and bottle feed him he drinks like 5-6oz every 2 hours. im just wondering if this happens to anyone else? and how can i get him to sleep longer at night? o and he only takes 3, 30 min naps during the day, and hes 20lb now. any suggestions please!

mrsaustin271

Asked by mrsaustin271 at 11:08 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just went through the same thing with my 5 month old, but i formula feed. What I did was set a time each night that I would not feed him before. The first night I would not feed him before 11pm, if he woke before that I would just rock him back to sleep, then feed him when he woke after 11. The next night it was midnite, then 1am, 2am, 3am.... and so on. I knew he wasnt really hungry, he just wanted to suck on the bottle, he would take less than an oz each time. It took a little over a week of doing this, but now he sleeps from 9pm until 7:30am, every night. He occassionally wakes around 4am, and i will give him a bottle cause he is actually hungry, but he goes right back to bed. This also helped him sleep in his bed all night. Best thing I ever did. Just make sure you stick with it, having a time in my head made it easier for me i think. Good luck
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 10:47 AM on May. 2, 2009

• He must be going through a growth spurt
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 11:11 PM on May. 1, 2009

• my breastfed son is 6 months and ALWAYS wakes every one to two hours! i don't know any advice. if you figure out what works, let me know! lol!!
    jamieandjohnny

Answer by jamieandjohnny at 11:18 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Normal! He'll sleep longer when he's ready to do so again.Nothing really that YOU can do about it. No, cereal DOES NOT make them sleep. hey sleep when THEY are ready to.

The seven hour stretches were really not usual, I'm afraid!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:21 PM on May. 1, 2009

• babies digest breast milk faster than formula..you could try giving him a formula bottle
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:31 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Formula wont make him sleep longer either. It's completely normal. Are you nursing him back to sleep every time he wakes up at night? If so, that's probably why he wakes up so often. Babies go through different sleep cycles and every so often have "brief awakenings", as adults this is the time that we roll over, fluff our pillow, or realize that we have to use the bathroom etc., but when babies are rocked, nursed, or put to sleep somewhere besides their crib, they fully awaken during what *should* have been a "brief awakening" because they are now somewhere different than where they fell asleep and dont know how to fall back to sleep on their own. This is also the reason for the 30 minute naps. My daughter was EXACTLY the same. She took half hour naps for the loooongest time, and i was finally able to help her sleep longer, but it took a long time, about three months.

The only way to fix this is to help him learn how to fall
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 11:39 PM on May. 1, 2009

• cont.

help him learn how to fall asleep on his own. I recommend The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley, and if your curious to know how I helped my daughter to take longer naps, feel free to PM me!

Oh AND, co-sleeping would most definitely solve your problems, too! :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 11:40 PM on May. 1, 2009

• OMGOODNESS!! I FEEL YOUR ANGUISH. MY DAUGHTER BARELY NAPS DURING THE DAY AND SHE ONLY SLEEPS 2 TO 3 HOURS AT A TIME. I ALSO WORK 12 HOURS A DAY SO ITS LIKE I NEVER SLEEP AND MY HUSBAND IS ABSOLUTLY NO HELP!! IF YOU FIGURE OUT SOMETHING LET ME KNOW!
    jschrage

Answer by jschrage at 11:49 PM on May. 1, 2009

• thanks for the answers. o and i do co sleep, and when he wakes i try giving him a passy or patting, but usally he wont go back to sleep until i nurse him. but sometimes he will only nurse five min and hes out again.(normal nurse time 15-25mins) so i feel like he just nurses for comfort more than food.
    mrsaustin271

Answer by mrsaustin271 at 11:53 PM on May. 1, 2009

• At five months he could be nursing for comfort, but he's still quite young and still might need the breastmilk. Breastfed babies can need those nighttime feedings for as long as nine months. My daughter nurses all night long too, I've learned to live with it for now, I just sleep while she nurses. We nurse in the side-lying position for nighttime feedings.

I hope you get things figured out, and GOOD JOB sticking with breastfeeding for so long :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:09 AM on May. 2, 2009