Question for moms with kids in sports

First of all, PLEASE, anyone and everyone, reply and be honest. My husband wants me to post this and I hope to give him a lot of replies, even if they do not favor my side of the argument. I will show him all of them, and hopefully, it provides us with food for thought.

If your child is badly injured in his sport, would you let him continue in said sport when he is healed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on May. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes. If my child wanted to continue and was physically able I would let them. In fact encourage them to continue what they started. I have two teenage boys....both involved in sports.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:14 PM on May. 1, 2009

• yes! i don't think you should quit because you got hurt. get back on the horse!! right? i don't think any lessons will be learned from quitting.
    jamieandjohnny

Answer by jamieandjohnny at 11:14 PM on May. 1, 2009

• If they still wanted to continue to play after they are healed, then yes, I would let them. My oldest has been injured in a few different sports, and she's always wanted to continue playing that sport.

Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 11:17 PM on May. 1, 2009

• yes, i played sports as a child so did the other 4 kids in my family, who knows how many times one of us got hurt badly b/c of it. but as soon as we were able we were right back out playing it. if your child loves it and wants to continue than why take them away b/c they got hurt? they can get badly hurt riding their bikes, would you take the bike away just b/c they fell and broke an arm or something along those lines?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:17 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Yes I would and have, kids are going to get hurt and they will heal. As much as we like to protect our kids you can't put them in a bubble.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:37 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Yes I have a 16 year old who has played hockey for 13 years, as another poster said 'you get back on the horse'. (Actually I used to ride and my mothers friend told me when I was about 5 or 6 and was thrown if I didn't get back on right then I never would I scurried my crying little butt right back on that horse and was glad I did) The only exception would be numerous concussions then the Dr. would be saying no more anyway.

I look at it this way, if the child fell down the stairs and broke a leg would you never let them on stairs again? Most of the time children don't get hurt playing sports.

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:58 PM on May. 1, 2009

• As long as he was physically cleared by a doctor to play, yes I would let him continue to play. As a matter of fact, I would make him play to get over any fears that he and I may have. Injuries of any kind are a risk when any kind of sport is involved. My son sprains his ankle every baseball season and he still plays. He is off his foot for a week and goes right back to playing. I know a kid that took a linedrive to his mouth, busted up his teeth, went to the ER and was back playing within a week. My sons friend dislocated his shoulder when he was hit by a ball and he finished the game!! Walked off the field at the end of the game and told his mom, "I think I need to go to the ER, my shoulder feels funny." It was hanging funny. He had it popped back in and went back to playing. Injuries happen, encourage them to continue playing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:00 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Depends. Yes in most cases... if it was a contact sport where he had a traumatic brain injury, and there was a reasonable expectation that he could re-injure his now more vulnerable brain, then NOPE. But if it's a regular childhood injury that could have occurred in many activities, that heals well and will not be permanently damaged by continued use in the sport, then sure. Dh and I have both participated in athletics and outdoor activities and have had dislocated shoulders, torn muscles, injured discs, broken bones, etc, and none of it was reason to stop participating in activities we enjoyed once healed. You fall out of trees, you climb them again. You get hurt playing sports, you play again.

That said, letting a child participate in sports when not fully healed is irresponsible, IMO, unless we're talking about a very minor injury. And NO CHILD should ever be pressured to continue if they were injured doing it.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:01 AM on May. 2, 2009

• if he or she wasnt seriously hurt and the doc cleared them and they wabted to continue then yes i would but if there is a no to any of that then i would say no- but dont ever tell them not to do anything just because u or the hubby is scared- u dont want to have ur child grow up always afraid to try something after failing or after getting hurt- in that case they might become a celibate (sp?) monk after their first heartbreak lol ok im rambling but yeah go for it let them back on the team!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 12:26 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Yes, if he wanted to AND was able to with a physician's and coach's approval.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:23 AM on May. 2, 2009