why does my son listen to my husband and not to me!

My husband just came back from iraq 2 monthes ago when my son was 15 monthes old, he is now 17 monthes old! i can tell him no repeatedly put him in time out and smack his hand and he still will not listen to me, but when my husband tells him no just one time he listens and wont do it again! And i dont understand why, ive been with since day 1, my husband has only been with him for a few monthes out of his whole 17 monthes of life! Why ,wont he listen to me, and what can i do to make him!

luvmylilman2007

Asked by luvmylilman2007 at 11:17 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it's something to do with the deep voice. All kids seem to be that way....they will push and push the mom. Maybe it's because they know our love is unconditional! LOL
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:07 AM on May. 2, 2009

• my daughter does the same thing, my husband is navy shes 3 hes gone now and has been gone a total of a year and half of her life already, but she listens to him more. daddy is bigger, he has a deeper voice so its scarier. i've come to use it to my advantage, when she won't listen (and hes home) i get him and he tells her she has to listen to mommy and then she does. the best i can tell you is that, daddy was gone alot he wants to keep daddy happy b/c in his mind maybe that means daddy won't leave again and he'll still like me. whereas mommy's not going anywhere mommy will like me no matter what. as soon as he gets used to daddy being home again he'll start doing the same thing to daddy. you just have to breath and be firm with your punishment so he knows that just b/c you aren't daddy doesn't mean he doesn't have to listen and wait it out.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:21 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Maybe he's still star-struck. Either way, I agree with the above. Men simply carry more authority. I would say the best thing would be to make sure you and DH are really united, and that he will back you up. Ask him to support you and to let your son know that he needs to obey YOU.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:40 PM on May. 1, 2009

• He trusts you. He knows that he can ignore you and push your buttons all day long and you will not harm him. No matter how angry you get. He does not have that same trust with your husband.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:03 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I think alot fo people have this problem. I swear it has something to do with the deapness of a man's voice that says "he's the boss" in a kids mind. I know I babied my kids alot and thats probably one reason they don't listen to me. So I guess now is the time to get tough, if your like me & stay home you know it can be stressful staying home with two toddlers who wont obey.
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 4:10 PM on May. 2, 2009