How can you tell the difference between being in love with someone and being in love with the idea of someone?

Just curious. :)

lincsmom74

Asked by lincsmom74 at 11:28 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• Can you sit and close your eyes and see yourself together when your old, using walkers, no sex anymore, just you two?? If so....that's love. :-)
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:30 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Neither are true love you have to understand. True love is a lasting love that is only developed through a deep understanding, acceptance and respect of each other. What you are talking about is infatuation and it doesn't really matter, it fades very fast anyway.
    Anonymous

• Ditto to above. True love is slow growing. I really think the initial "in love" experience probably just feels wonderful because we're actually falling in love with ourselves because of how wonderful we are to another person!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:35 PM on May. 1, 2009

• The reason I was asking was someone had stated on here the other night, that she thought someone was in love with the idea of her. It didn't make sence to me.
    lincsmom74

Answer by lincsmom74 at 11:41 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Loving the idea of someone is loving them as you see them in your head, not for who they are. I'm guilty of this. I love the idea of my husband. Lucky for me I also love the man that he really is, so in those moments of disillusion, when I see his true colors and not the colors that I have painted him that day, I still love what I see.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:45 PM on May. 1, 2009

• For the above, AWWWW!
    lincsmom74

Answer by lincsmom74 at 11:46 PM on May. 1, 2009

• IMO, if you can see yourselves as a friend to your SO or dh as well as more than that, I would consider it true love. That friendship is SOOO important because if the feelings ever fade, if you don't have that friendship to fall back on, you don't stand much of a chance.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 12:09 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I think the idea of love is when you have expectations on that relationship and get disappointed when those expectations aren't met (which is always the case when you have expectations). When you are in love, then you can see the relationship for truly what it is (two people trying to mesh their ideas and beliefs into each others daily lives) and give and take to make each other happy. I think that almost everyone starts out being in love with the idea of love (or someone). Then eventually you fall in love with that person...or break up (meaning that the disappointment from your unmet expectations were too great).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on May. 2, 2009

• If you can live with eachother and still enjoy eachothers company and enjoy cuddling and hanging out with eachother THATS love.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on May. 2, 2009

• The idea of someone is when you think you're in love with someone you've never met.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 AM on May. 2, 2009