...lactation...

I'm 30 weeks pregnant with my second child and I noticed today that i've started lactating. It it too soon? Should I start pumping and freezing my colostrum? Will it keep in the freezer? I didn't start this early with my daughter so Im kind of off guard with this one.

Michelle20727

Asked by Michelle20727 at 11:35 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Normal :) I started at 22 weeks with my daughter.

There's no need to pump and freeze the colostrum unless you want to donate it to a milk bank. In fact, you probably won't be able to get enough colostrum to freeze. Your body will continue to make plenty of it until your baby is born, after that it takes a couple days and then it will change to milk.

It's all good :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:41 PM on May. 1, 2009

• It is normal for some women. I never lactated before delivery but my sister did. I am not qualified to answer whether you should start pumping now. You could talk to a lactation consultant or your OB/GYN.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:42 PM on May. 1, 2009

• There's no reason to pump and keep it, your body will make colostrum after the birth, no matter what it makes now, so you'll have all you need then... But there's no harm to pumping if you feel a need to have some stored. In a regular freezer (not the old-style like you find in some hotels) it will keep 3-6 months if you store it toward the back where it won't be subject to so many temp changes from the door opening. In a deep freezer, it will keep up to a year.

Again, it's not necessary at all, but it is safe if you feel a need.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:42 PM on May. 1, 2009

• pumping could also make you have contractions and go in to labor which you definetely don't want this early. it's completely normal
    batsonsgirl

Answer by batsonsgirl at 11:43 PM on May. 1, 2009

• PS if you have a history of preterm birth or any other complications, pumping may not be a good choice. Your OB will probably not know much about this, unfortunately; I suggest doing independent research if you decide to pump and then talking to a lactation specialist (like an IBCLC board certified lactation consultant.) If your pregnancy is healthy and uncomplicated, with no history of preterm labor, then breastfeeding (an unweaned toddler, for instance) is safe and should not bring on labor... pumping id different than nursing, which is why you may wish to consult a professional, but there is no reason to believe it will cause problems.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:49 PM on May. 1, 2009

• its normal...my breasts started producing a yellowish liquid in mid second trimester. I wouldnt save it and keep it though theres really no need to the baby only needs colostrum the first few days of life and then your breasts will produce milk plus pumping can cause contractions (as well as any nipple stimulation)
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 1:23 AM on May. 2, 2009