Can I have sex with my husband if I have an STD?

I may have genital warts. I went to the doc but she didn't actually test me for them b/c she didn't see anything she just thought I had a yeast infection, however, the bumps are still there and itchy. My husband knows what's going on. My question is can we still have sex? We've been married for 5 years and both of us faithful (no doubt about it) and it's been about 8 years since I've had sex with anyone besides my husband who was a virgin when I married him. So if I have something I'm thinking I must have had it for quite a long time and so my husband probably already has it from me. So should we abstain still? It's been a month since we've had sex and it's not very fun!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Health

• i would just use a condom, and then ask your ob to check you anyways and have him get checked just to be sure so you know in the future wether or not you are going to give it to him if you have a breakout
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:45 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Well, chances are if both were faithful then you both have them?
    Anonymous

• You can still have sex, why does she think you have them if she didnt test you for them? I have them and me and my SO have sex, but MOST of mine are on the inside. And a nicer way to put it is, condyloma, and HPV
    Anonymous

• You either had them for at least 8 years or SOMEONE HAS been unfaithful.

I'm not sure if they stay dormant that long or not....

If I were you, I'd go BACK to the Dr before doing anything with anyone, getting it checked out, and finding out from your Dr the facts about whatever it is you have.... including dormancy.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:58 PM on May. 1, 2009

• First of all, i'm going to say something no one has said yet. I'm so sorry to hear that you might have this. You know sometimes things happen and it's just a test that you have to keep trying to ace. I think if you guys love each other and you both have it well just stay together and go thru the motions together. If anything pops up you guys can cry together and try to make the situation better. I have a friend with herpes and she is with her boyfriend and he promised her he'll never leave not matter what life brings there way. He wants to live his life by her side. So just hold on life isn't over. Think about at least you don't have Aids or HIV? At least you going to live more than a couple of month or even months... Just love one another and be real about everything.God is there...
    Madster5

Answer by Madster5 at 12:03 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Oh! And you can test him for them at home too by the way. Use white vinegar and soak a face cloth with it and wrap it around his penis for about 2 minutes, if you see any bumps that have turned white, he has it too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I have Genital Herpes and me and my husband have sex. We don't do it thru the breakouts... But just stay with your partner and don't do anything else with someone else
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on May. 2, 2009

• It's been proven that you can still spread genital warts, without a breakouts, even with the use of condoms. It just takes genital contact.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:08 AM on May. 2, 2009

• ASKER: see I've researched that it can be dormant and most of the times it does stay dormant until your immune system is low. And since I'm pregnant my immune system is definitely low and that's probably why they're showing now. My doc doesn't think I have them, b/c what happened is I decided to try the whole apple cider vinegar cure and it created a huge sore spot and when she looked down there she couldn't find them and just thought I had a yeast rash. I only have like 2-3 bumps as far as I know and they aren't on the inside. There is one where my leg meets my groin area, but it's on the groin part and then there is on on the fatty top part of the vagina way above the "hood" and it's hard to see I'm sure since there is hair there as well. So that's why she probably didn't see them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on May. 2, 2009

• HPV, human papilloma virus, is the virus that causes genital warts and also cervical cancer. Now, that said, there are many different strains of the virus. The strains (low risk) that cause warts DO NOT cause cervical cancer. The strains (high risk) that do cause cervical cancer do NOT cause warts.
    It is estimated that 80% of American women have at least one strain of HPV. If your immune system is functioning perfectly, you will not see the results of the HPV (either warts or abnormal cervical cells on Pap test). When your immune system is not functioning highly (such as during pregnancy or when you are sick and immune system is busy doing something else) you may have HPV show up. You were likely exposed to the HPV very early during your sexual life. If you do have HPV, your husband has already been exposed to it. So keep having sex anyway. If the bumps get bigger, go back to the doc, if they are warts, they can be removed.
    jen1350

Answer by jen1350 at 7:15 AM on May. 3, 2009