My son received his MMR vaccine and a week later took him to the clinic because he has a rash all over his body and the doctor said it was a mild case of the measels due to his vaccination, he said that there are few cases where this happens. Should I be worry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on May. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Need to ask your doctor, not on cafemom
    Anonymous

• I would consider your child to be contagious to others. His case will probably be mild and no danger to him - probably. Keep an eye on him and do NOT HESITATE to contact your dr with these questions. Make sure he reports it to VAERS as well.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:03 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I did asked my doctor but I thought this site is suppose to help moms with the concerns and question. If you do not have a answer for my question then don't response.

Thank you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Thank you Collinsky for your advice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Here's a link to read up about it, GL to you and your LO..
    http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/measles.html
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:13 AM on May. 2, 2009

• if the doc won't report it to VAERS you can do it yourself it doesn't have to be a doc to report it. I would refuse the next booster of the shot and get his titers checked. he probably has plenty of immunity since he actually caught the disease. For ANY of the live virus vaccines (MMR, CP etc.) the kids can and do get the actually disease they were vaccinated for and pass it onto those who do not have immunity too. it is quite common with the CP.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:37 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I would think your child would be just fine, I had the measles after the vaccine when I was little too. Your son is contagious and should be kept from other kids until the incubation period is over. You really should talk to the doc as to if he should have the next vaccine for MMR. It protects from more than just measles. Hope he feels better soon!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:18 PM on May. 3, 2009

• This happened to my younger son. I don't think you need to worry, just keep in touch with the Dr., make sure it is in his chart etc. My son is now 7 and every time he gets a check up they look at his chart and say "it looks like he had a reaction to the measles vax right?" So clearly they want to keep track of it.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:20 PM on May. 3, 2009

• aneva said "I would refuse the next booster"
    My Doctor told me they would not give him a booster due to the reaction the first time (see prev. post)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:21 PM on May. 3, 2009

• As someone who almost died TWICE from MMR I would be worried and I would be reporting it to VAERS immediately. This is just the same as getting pox from the chicken pox vaccine. It's still the disease just 'mild'. Measles is measles no matter how you want to look at it.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 4:21 PM on May. 3, 2009