my 18 year old son

ok I a have a problem..my son is dating this girl and has been for two years the problem is I think he's seeing another girl....I know he's old enough to do what he wants but I've always taught him to respect women I've also told him to break with his GF if he wants to date others girls how can I get through him ??I want him to see thats this behavior is unacceptable or am I being old fashioned? no bashing please I just want opionions

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on May. 2, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I can't answer because I love a married man.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on May. 2, 2009

• My mom has to deal with this one. It's hard to see that our kids aren't perfect and can sometimes make a real ass of themselves. But we all have a little ass in us.

I'd just tell him that you know he's cheating on his girlfriend and explain to him how much it will hurt her. Tell him that it's okay to want to see other girls, but that if that's what he wants he needs to do the least damage and break it off with his girlfriend before it blows up in his face and everyone is heartbroken. Emphasize how much his girlfriend will hurt, and tell him that it will hurt her less if it's a break up than if he's cheating on her. Tell him it's not okay to keep her on hold while he figures out if he wants to be with her, and it's not fair to make her second prize after she's given him two years and probably her virginity.

Good luck, that's tough.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:12 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I would call him out on it. That's not something I would allow to go on. It's hurtful, and as a mother (even though I have another 17 years for that) I would feel it was my obligation to say something to him.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 12:13 AM on May. 2, 2009

• if you have already told him and talked to him about it, aside from going to her (which would cause problems w/your son so thats your call) theres nothing you can do, hes old enough he'll make the decision himself and have to learn
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:20 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I would find it unacceptable, tell him to break up with her and come clean or you could tell her. It's the wrong thing for him to be doing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on May. 2, 2009

• He wants his cake and eat too. Threaten his butt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on May. 2, 2009

• No, I don't think this behavior is acceptable and I would tell him so. Tell him he either stops it himself and/or tells his girlfriend, or you will.
    You could also try asking him to put the shoe on the other foot and ask him how he's feel if it was the other way around.
    gothlingmom

Answer by gothlingmom at 7:00 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Send her a note anonymously and let her know.He needs to know that girls will not accept this behavior.Why should his gf be strung along?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:02 PM on May. 2, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with dating more than one person. It's what youth is all about, getting to know the opposite sex and see if any of them are special to you. I admit he should allow both to know he is seeing other people but he is not breaking any vows by dating more than one person

Answer by admckenzie at 7:19 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I have a 19 ds and they all seem to do this. I think its the age. That doesn't make it right though.
    Anonymous