My daughter is 4 months old. Can I give her Gerber juice now? What about cereal in her milk?

lisashmike

Asked by lisashmike at 12:17 AM on May. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can dilute it a bit with water. And you can start introducing her to cereal too..you should try with rice cereal.
    neddie77

Answer by neddie77 at 12:20 AM on May. 2, 2009

• no, your suppose to wait until at least 6 months and you never put cereal in their bottles. they can only have cereal when they can eat it with a spoon

sarahrm

Answer by sarahrm at 12:21 AM on May. 2, 2009

• also its best to wait until they can drink the juice out of a sippy cup.
    sarahrm

Answer by sarahrm at 12:22 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Sarahrm has it right.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:23 AM on May. 2, 2009

• cereal in the bottles is a big no no now. Juice is okay if you really want to but even as a toddler they dont NEED juice. Right now she is getting all teh nutrients she needs from her formula or breast milk. But it is a nice treat now and then. I reserve juice for giving medicine Muah ha ha. Anyways cereal you can do but give it to her (very thin by the way) with a spoon. You can use breastmilk formula water or even juice to mix it but remember only one new thing a week for awhile. So if you start cereal this week start juice next week so if she has tummy troubles or an allergic reaction you know what caused it. Signs to watch for that she is ready for cereal is an interest in you eating (watches you eat longingly) can sit supported and doesnt thrust her tongue forward when something touches her lips. But even then you will find you'll be lucky if she swallows more than a couple spoonfuls. Start slow .
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:25 AM on May. 2, 2009

• why not cereal in the bottle? I always hear to start with cereal in the bottle.
    lisashmike

Answer by lisashmike at 12:29 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I say ask your pediatrician. Everyone acts like its a sin to give your child babyfood before X, and give cereal before x, and don't do this, or dont do that. My son at 2 months weighed almost 15lbs and I was breastfeeding. He still seemed hungry and because of the strict no no's with bottles as I was having difficulty with breastfeeding, the doctor suggested giving him bananas baby food...yes at 2 months. She said "if he'll take it off a spoon, then its not going to hurt if he seems a little hungry still after you've fed him." He's perfectly fine, no food allergies, no allergies at all actually, hardly gets sick, and is a perfectly healthy, big two year old. He is almost 40 inches tall and weights about 37 lbs. :)
    ranze11617

Answer by ranze11617 at 12:29 AM on May. 2, 2009

• You can dilute the juice more parts water than juice just to give her something additional. They do recommend waiting for 6 months for juice but I diluted it for my boys. Also you can start to feed you baby cereall anywhere between 4 - 6 months. Do the research online or ask your dr. I have 3 children and they all are healthy.
    neddie77

Answer by neddie77 at 12:29 AM on May. 2, 2009

• She does NOT need juice. Why get her used to sweets? Wait until she is closer to a year.

As for cereal in her milk... the point of baby food is to teach the baby to eat off of a spoon and to experiment with different tastes and textures. Putting it in her milk defeats that. This hasn't been recommended in years though enough moms listen to their own moms or even grandmas that the bottle manufactures still make cereal nipples. If you are hoping it will help her sleep through the night, I can tell you this is an OLD myth and it does not work. It does not matter what a baby is fed - formula, breastmilk, cereal - he will sleep through the night when he is ready. Mine was formula fed and on solids at 5 months. She slept all night at 10 months.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:35 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I agree with you ranzee.
    neddie77

Answer by neddie77 at 12:36 AM on May. 2, 2009