night terrors???

my son just!!!!!! woke up out of dead sleep screaming and jolting around the screams were ear piercing.... my mom didnt know what to do but he kept screaming like something was hurting him... i am scared being paraniod anyway! its 12:15 am and i need to k now wether i should take him to the emergency room? f.y.i no signs of pain, bleeding, ect...

Khyries_Mommy

Asked by Khyries_Mommy at 1:16 AM on May. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe it was a nightmare. Try to get him calmed down. Or maybe it could be his ears. If he doesn't calm down soon I would take him.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 1:19 AM on May. 2, 2009

• My son has those, has since he was a baby and he's 5 now. They have gotten better but his ped. said not to wake him, just let him go back to sleep. If you're worried then call your sons Dr Monday. I'm sure he will be fine, ours is. It's actually gotten better the older he gets.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:20 AM on May. 2, 2009

• that sounds like night terrors, but he shouldn't keep screaming for a long time. make sure he is actually awake. talk to him. turn the light on, see if he wants a bottle. sometimes my baby wakes up screaming and screaming and it's just cause his little throat hurts and he wants some juice. try to soothe him a bit. night terrors come on like that, but usually as soon as you can get to baby he jolts awake and realizes mommy is there and that it's ok....
    double check him over for scrapes of bruises. did he get stuck in the crib bars and pull something? good luck! and if all else fails...do NOT hesitate to get some help for him. that's what the emergency room is for, when something is really wrong. does your doctor have and emergency #?
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 1:21 AM on May. 2, 2009

• thank you so much i appreciate the help! he fell asleep but i dont understand why that happened! his dr is an ass and im in the midst of chaing drs.. but i checked everything pinching, diper, ect and he is fine now.. ..... now that i've had a heart attack. i guess ill try an go to bed!! no one tells you all these things b4 you have kids... im tramatized!
    Khyries_Mommy

Answer by Khyries_Mommy at 1:27 AM on May. 2, 2009

• my daughter has those almost everynight since she was about 3 months old. i told my pedi about it and she said its due to separation anxiety and the best thing to do is not pick them up, but rub their bellies and let them know that you're there and they'll fall back to sleep.
    Kayleiigh

Answer by Kayleiigh at 1:55 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Oh my gosh, my son has started having those. The only thing that soothed him was to let him wake up and walk him up and down the hall (he's 7 mos), and then give him a bottle. It's so sad - it's either that, or like the other post, possibly a sore throat - or even a little heartburn!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:00 AM on May. 2, 2009