Is it possible to potty train a 17 month old boy!

I am a SAHM and have all the time in the world and was thinking about trying to potty train my 17 month old son! but i am not sure if hes mature enough yet! I was wondering if theres any of you ladys out there that have done this before and if so all the advice you can give me would be great!

luvmylilman2007

Asked by luvmylilman2007 at 1:24 AM on May. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• YES! My two boys are 17 months apart... I did not want two in diapers for very long so I started training before 17 months. Both my boys were FULLY day trained long before two years old. You cannot expect them to be trained in a day or two as you might with a 2 1/2 or 3 year old, but for me, there was little resistance to using the potty since they were so young. With patience and grace, it CAN be done!
    MamaInTx

Answer by MamaInTx at 9:12 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I started my son at 18 months. ...but he's my stepson and that's when my DH and i finally got full custody of him. ...when i finally have my own i will "start" it when he/she turns one. ...but by starting it i just mean letting the child watch me and others go potty and explaining what it is and using gentle encouragment to sit on the little potty. ...then at 18 months or so (depends on the child) start having "toilet time" ...which takes place about every 2 hours around the same time they would go in the diaper. ...worked for my son! he was toilet learned (even overnight) by the time he was about 2 years and 3 months or so.
    Good luck! Just remember that all children are different and take it at their own pace. It's certianly not too early to introduce the concept.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on May. 2, 2009

• sorry. ...i dont know why that's on anon. ...but that first response is me.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:28 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I think we started with 17 month. He didn't do anything but sit on the potty. so i stopped for a while - because i thought he wasn't ready yet. Than all of a sudden one day when he was about 18 or 19month old he came running towards me and told me he has to poop poop since that day he is going on his own ( as long he is running around without diaper and pants).
    Just try it and always leave the potty in a area that is always available for him.
    StellaBella2007

Answer by StellaBella2007 at 9:57 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I think unless hes a genius and very mature...its a waste of time. He will give you clues about when hes ready. I have one that just turned 3 and he won't pt at all. Hes just not ready. We went through 4 prs of undies yesterday. He puts them on by himself but then pees in them. Oh well.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:45 AM on May. 2, 2009