know anything about fafsa and the efc?

has anyone filled out a fafsa for financial aid, and received a efc around 3000 and still rec'd money for school? if so what was your efc, and how much did you receive? thanks!

VictinaG

Asked by VictinaG at 1:43 AM on May. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• It is an ESTIMATED amount that the family SHOULD be able to pay towards college. They take it from the amount you earned, but they do NOT take into account how much you owe for your debts. It was always ridiculously high for us - no way we could ever come up with the amount they claimed we could. We could barely make ends meet, let along pay to have our kids go to college. The colleges use the EFC to determine how much financial aid they would give you. My daughter always received some aid (including a work-study program on campus) but even with that and a few scholarships, she still had to take out loans.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 11:46 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Isn't EFC estimated financial contribution?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on May. 2, 2009

• With an EFC of $3000 you won't get much if anything. Sorry.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:49 AM on May. 2, 2009

• yes, but i have read so many things tonight.... i wanted to know first hand what someone has received...

somethings i have read say it is a code your school uses to to categorize you, and others say it is what you will have to pay, and others say they combine it with another # subtract something add something.. and viola! that is what you will receive.... ahhhhhh!!!!!!!1
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 1:50 AM on May. 2, 2009

• It means the amount they estimate you and your family should be able to pay. The higher the number is the less they give you.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:53 AM on May. 2, 2009

• i posted it on another site and a girl on there had an EFC of 2800 and she rec'd 3200.00.... i guess it depends... thanks for answering the question..... or not answering the question i should say! :)
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 1:53 AM on May. 2, 2009

• yeah... i like how they assume that since my husband makes 50,000 a year i must be able to afford nursing school... eerg its ridiculous!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 1:54 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Yeah it does suck.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:56 AM on May. 2, 2009

• My efc is zero.
    For my previous degree I received almost $4000 in a Pell Grant. For this degree, I have no clue what they will be able to offer.
    I already get a 20% military spouse discount and the college is taking $2000 off my tuition as a returning alumni.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:24 PM on May. 4, 2009