Should I prune my neighbors roses?

Last summer my neighbor was complainging that her roses needed to be pruned really bad. She also told me that she couldnt do it because her knees were bad. And her husband wouldnt do it because he dosent like to do it. She sought out a professional but they were going to charge 300.oo. So I told her I would do it for her. She offered to pay me. And Of cousre I said I could not accept payment from a Neighbor. The way I was raised neighbors help each other out. She said she would cook me 10 bar-b ques. And I did not accept. I told her "where I come from people help each other out" She actualy started to cry. I dont think she has ever had anybody do anything nice for her before. So on my next day off I jumped the fench and got to work. When I started it was like only 70 degrees out. When I was finished it was 102. So after 3 hours and 3 gatoraids. The roses looked good. She never thanked me. They need pruning again. Do I do it.

chedhead

Asked by chedhead at 2:24 AM on May. 2, 2009 in Home & Garden

• if she asks i would if not than no. she may have felt like she had already said thanks when she offered to pay or to cook for you, so i would give her a second chance prune them if she asks and if she doesn't thank you this time than i wouldn't do it again.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:28 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I agree, I think she believes she already thanked you by offering to pay you and cook for you and you turned it down... that was your thank you, to which you responded.. no thank you is necessary. I'd prune them again but I wouldn't go out of my way to keep an eye on them. For instance I wouldn't be out there every other week.. but once a month or something.. maybe 2 months.. isn't outrageous.

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 6:13 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Wong time of year to prune roses. You need to do it in the late fall or in Feb. So if she asks you you need to tell her that you would be happy to do it when it's the right time to prune. That was very nice of you to do that.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 8:20 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Chedhead, I think you've answered your own question. "Neighbors help each other out." If your neighbor is not accustomed to people doing nice things for her, perhaps she is not accustomed to saying thank you. Not everyone is aware of common courtesy or proper etiquette. As others have said, perhaps she thought she had already thanked you.

Don't forget your original offer to prune your neighbors roses was meant to "help a neighbor out", not for a money, bar b que or even a thank you. You should only prune your neighbors rose if you want to help her out. Keeping in mind that you may never receive a proper thank you.

Also it is too late to prune roses. Depending on where you live, this should be done in the late winter/early spring.
    MissAAAAA

Answer by MissAAAAA at 1:41 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I would give it another week or so, and see if she thanks you. She may just be unsure of how to thank you, or feel that she has already thanked you from earlier. But you did offer.. so for this summer, I would stick to your word. Next summer.. if you still feel she hasn't thanked you, you can always make up some excuse.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:07 AM on May. 3, 2009