Is this just a phase?

My twins are almost 18 months. One is mellow, the other is dramatic. Both were sleeping through the night (95% of the time) by 6 weeks and sleep 9-12 hours a night (being twins, they usually wake up, "talk" to each other and fall back alseep). My mellow little guy has always been ok w/ bedtime- no fusses, right to bed or playing a bit in his crib until he falls asleep.
All of a sudden in the last 4 days, he's throwing a huge fit when we put him to bed and down for a nap. He screams and yells for about 1/2 hour before calming down. This is so unlike him- he's so calm normally- has been since he was in the womb. Granted, it's only been a few days, but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas as to what might be going on w/ him. All the basics are taken care of and there have been no other major changes.

dannydawna

Asked by dannydawna at 3:55 AM on May. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe an ear ache, tummy ache etc...give it a few more days. He could be trying to get molars?! I would try some tylenol accordingly to their weight and age of course and if that doesnt help then he is probably just learning that he can tell you "uh mom no nap time"...my 16 month old likes to rebel against naps sometimes too usually on an exciting day...before nap try to calm down the surroundings alittle if they arent already GL.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:27 AM on May. 2, 2009

• 18 months? It may be seperation aneixty and totally normal. Or, as the other poster said, he could be feeling unwell.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 9:42 AM on May. 2, 2009

• If he isn't sick, it is normal. Each of my 3 ds's did that and they are good natured. Your ds is telling you that he doesn't want to go to bed, even when he really needs to. Eventually, he will be able to tell you verbally whatever he wants to tell you. Until then, he will tell you by his actions.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 5:07 PM on May. 2, 2009