Which belief system(s) or religion(s) teach these?

*We are the truth and the life.
*We are not responsible for how others react to our words.
*Our words are honey, it's others who turn them to poison.
*Nothing others do is because of you or your actions.
*Our only mission in life is to make ourselves happy.

I am Christian and I have definite reservations about and disagree these teachings - I consider the 1st to be blasphemy and the others to be just irresponsible - and contrary to the Bible. Taken as a whole, it seems these are principles of a belief system that instills a lack of personal integrity & dismisses the expectation of consequence and encourages insensitivity while teaching that it's all about "you". "You" are not to be blamed for anything. (Sort of a "Me" religion - if you will).

Which belief system (if any that you know of) teaches this sort of thing.... or is this a collection of teachings from different religions?

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 7:27 AM on May. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Okay, for all the ones who emailed me asking me which religion teaches these principles..... I didn't know, that's why I asked. Now, as far as the answers.... Metalcowgirl seems to be closest to the answer.... Hedonistic fit best.

Now, this question came about because of a book (or set of books) that my ex husband advised our son to read. Being a mother, I reviewed the books and was concerned with the amount of (me) teachings that were in the books. I don't think such selfishness makes for good character nor does it prepare him for real-life relationships.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:18 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I have no idea, but I agree that the first one is blasphemous.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:40 AM on May. 2, 2009

• sounds the the new world religion that opra has came out with check this out
    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1426930/CHECK_THIS_OUT_GOD_BE_WITH_US
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 7:52 AM on May. 2, 2009

• It sounds to me like it's a bit of Humanism, Humanistic-Athiesm, Epicurianism or Hedonism (which are actually philosophies rather than religions). One or two of these have hints of Hinduism. I honestly don't know.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:45 AM on May. 2, 2009

• That does sound very humanistic...very centered on self and what I want, what makes me happy and my own world. New ageism is what I was thinking first. Of course as a christian, I disagree with these teachings as well.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:09 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Well, I've googled all those and only come up with links back to this question and one link to an article under the section entitled "Messages from the Great White Buffalo" on a website for the Spiritual School of Ascension which, at first glance, appears to incorporate certain aspects of several belief systems.

It's a long article, & I didn't read it all... but in closes with a Lemurian saying of "We are the truth and the light. Let the light shine bright for all to see!" However, Lemuria seems to have been a fabled place (at least according to Wikipedia -- I'll admit, I have no clue)

The site also makes reference to the Annanuki people --- which a quick search of yields several references to UFOs & top secret military records & such.... so take it as you like.

That's the only mention of anything on your list that I've found so far.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:14 AM on May. 2, 2009

• This is a little off-topic, but I have to address the following statement:

"That does sound very humanistic...very centered on self and what I want, what makes me happy and my own world."

As a Humanistic Buddhist, I have to say that this is NOT what humanistic means.  Under the first entry in the Webster dictionary for "humanistic", it states:  A devotion to the humanities.  Look up "humanities", and it states: The quality or state of being humane

So, essentially, "humanistic" means devotion to helping others.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:21 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Never heard of any of those in regards to religious teachings.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:21 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I'm thinking hedonism.....definitely not Humanism.

Apparently because Humanism is linked to atheists, people here are assuming it's selfish?
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:41 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Well, at first I was thinking Satanism, but then I read it again, and realized that not even Satanists believe in most of that (correct me if I'm wrong metalcowgirl?).

So, I don't think there really IS a belief system that teaches that. It doesn't even sound like Humanism, to me . . .
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:59 AM on May. 2, 2009