how do you react?

When watching a movie with your child(ren). and something you find inappropriate for YOUR child comes on (be it sex scenes, violance, language,drug usage, contant, ect...)How do you react? Do you change the channel,(then do you go back when you think that part is done?) skip through? keep watching and hope they dont catch on? give them a quick task in another room (such as "go get a glass of water"...)
And how old are your kids?

RJSMOMMA

Asked by RJSMOMMA at 8:25 AM on May. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• My children are 3 and 18 months. If my husband and I want to watch a movie we wait until they go to bed. The only movies we watch with the children present are children movies. anything rated G. some PG movies are okay but never PG-13 or R. The TV is never
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:30 AM on May. 2, 2009

• on anything inappropriate.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:31 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Teachable moment.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:05 AM on May. 2, 2009

• My son is only 4 and we only watch videos that are (more or less) age appropriate. He's seen the original Star Wars and I do skip over some of the stuff (at his request) but otherwise, there's nothing on our TV that he can't watch. Anything else, I can wait for him to go to his dad's before I watch my movies.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:12 AM on May. 2, 2009

• My kids are 3 and 1. If my 3 year old sees something of that nature- we use it as an opportunity to talk to him about it. Although we don't watch anything with sex scenes when he is awake so that one will wait.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:13 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I pre-screen everything they watch, but for things like Spooky Movie Nights, there will probably be something he shouldn't see or hear in there. If it's bad language, I just say "Well, I'd swear too if I had CHUDs climbing through my bathroom window!" It's topless chicks my SON will say "I hope this is integral to the plot!" but only because he's heard me say that. An outright sex scene will get blipped past. Since the Spooky Movies we watch are largely cheesy 1950's through 1980's stuff, the violence isn't all that bad and I pick movies that are low on gore.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:46 AM on May. 2, 2009

• If we didnt know that it was there, we will get up and fast forward through it, but for the most part, we prescreen everything and I do very much abide by the guidelines set forth by the movie raters. So PG13 means that its probably not okay for my 11 and 7 yr olds unless ive seen it already. This situation rarely happens to us because of that. My almost 15 yr old daughter can basically watch anything with us, but we don't even watch rated R movies unless it was recommended to us by someone. We just steer clear of it because we don't like foul langauge.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:04 AM on May. 2, 2009

• We talk about it, my son is now 16 so it is not a big deal anymore, but when he was younger if a movie was not what we expected we talked about it if he caught it and ignored it if he didn't. We went to see Shrek at the drive ins when it came out and he was surprisingly starting to get the off color references that were NOT kid appropriate- totally unexpected you can never say that it won't happen.

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:14 AM on May. 2, 2009

• My kids are 9, 10 & 16 so they watch whatever we do. If something is shown (mostly sex scenes) that we feel are to risque then we will have them close their eyes for a minute, if they have questions about anything else we answer them honestly.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:40 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I agree with 2wndrfl_btrflys

I watch my movies after my 3 yo DD is put to bed at night...And she doesn't watch anything other than G or PG.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 10:40 AM on May. 2, 2009