What is the best diet? I want a simple... easy to follow...

easy recipes
effective
not too many ingedients to the recipes

please help!

masonsmommy921

Asked by masonsmommy921 at 8:41 AM on May. 2, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• btw we want this to be more of a lifestyle change, not just a loose weight real fast with some crazy carot diet or something. We just dont know how to eat healthy and what is considered healthy. im a terrible cooker too so i was kinda looking for simple recipes :)
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 8:43 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I like to use slim fast to help me control my appitite, they give tons of recipes on the website. As for something to help you think about what you eat I would suggest ali, it helps you learn how to eat healthier foods and make better choices.
    Rebeccaroe

Answer by Rebeccaroe at 8:47 AM on May. 2, 2009

• The hubs and I bought a copy of the older South Beach diet which gives the reasoning behind food choices, but its not anything unusual or strange. For us it is a lifestyle change, and it incorporates some of the popular ideas of the mediteranean diets (like using olive oil every day, almonds, avocado's, etc.)

It has you mix us your proteins, like we eat beef one or two days, then chicken a day or so, then fish (and we love grilled salmon) so we feel like we are on vacay making the food really tasty with lots of basil, oregano and rosemary, lemon, lime, balsamic vinegar, etc.

We are losing weight everyday, even if just a few ounces. I'm just 13 lbs away from my perfect weight. :) The hubs has a few more pounds. I would do a good workout at least every other day and be sure to push yourself one more set. You can get good routines at Prevention mag. online.

These food choices and recipes work for us well!
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:49 AM on May. 2, 2009

• You are exactly right. You don't need a diet, you need to live a healthy life; this includes setting a great example for your kids. Start slow, take a walk around the block. Add another block every couple of days. Start increasing your speed. Walk for at least 20 minutes at least 3 times a week.
    Drink water; at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Eat fruits and vegetables, 7-8 servings a day in at least 3 colors. As you use them up, replace your "white foods" like rice, bread and pasta, with whole grain, like brown rice, quinoa, whole grain bread, corn tortillas, whole wheat pasta. Work your way up to 7 servings of whole grains a day. Eat beans and lentils. Go to the library and look for The China Study by T. Colin Campbell or anything by Dr. McDougall. Dr. McDougall has free meal plans and recipes on his website: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html

Answer by rkoloms at 9:23 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Diets don't work.

East sensibly, drink a lot of water and exercise! Weight Watchers teaches you that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on May. 2, 2009

• we basically follow the advice from Michael Pollan's book In Defense of Food. Some of his most helpful tips are:
    Don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food (for example food replacement bars, protein shakes, yogurt in a tube)

Avoid food products containing ingredients that are unfamiliar, unpronounceable, more than five in number or that include hugh-fructose corn syrup.

Shop the peripheries of the supermarket and stay out of the middle.

Eat mostly plants, especially leaves.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 12:55 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Special K diet. You eat 2 servings of cereal a day, with 2 snacks (they say use these protien bars, but I just eat yogurt and salad instead), and your third meal regularly. It says to go on this diet for 2 weeks. Ive done it for 6 days, and with exercising have already lost 7lbs.
    The most important thing this diet has taught me was portion sizes. I had no idea how much I was actually eating!! I literally take a measuring cup now and just measure it out. Ill admit, I was pretty hungry for the first 2 days. But now, the serving size of cereal with some fruit in it fills me up. Instead of 3 big meals, I eat 5 or 6 small meals.
    After I go off of this diet, Im going to take what I learned about portion sizes with me. And still probably eat Special K for breakfast since I like it so much.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 4:53 PM on May. 2, 2009

• The ZOne!! it's the most balanced and it's simple and something you can do for life! You'll balance your mood and hormones and feel great. just remember 3/6/9, fat, protein carbs in grams.fats should be a higher content of monounsaturated, cold pressed, and refined. avoid Partially hydrogenated oils. 3/6/9 is the snack portion. times by 3 for women, 4 for nursing women and men. Eat full whole grains, brown grains instead of white, eat potatoes rarely, and lean meat, soybeans, tofu, and occasional sparing red meat. Dr. Sears has a problem with yokes because of a type of acid in it, but I feel God intended us to eat the whole egg and something has got to counter it. Just keep these ratios for everything you eat and order the book a week in the Zone or any of the other books.
    1heart1mind

Answer by 1heart1mind at 5:27 PM on May. 2, 2009

• You could also try Nikken's kenzen body balance. I am a Nikken distributer. It's excellent! IT has the right ratio's in the meal replacement shakes, it cleanses the system and increases the metabolism with a thermogenic herbal supplement. It makes you feel sooooo happy!! There are some really good mood lifters in the stuff. It's incredible! Do that with the Zone dinner or lunch and dinner and snacks, or a nikken revup drink. Visit my site www.nikken.com/1heart1mind and look for the body balance program. You can ask me any questions and you can get it for discount if you talk to me.
    1heart1mind

Answer by 1heart1mind at 5:32 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Good Old Weight Watchers has worked for me. It is sensible, easy to follow and keeps you accountable. You also learn how to eat "real food" -- not just crazy processed diet food. Mainly, you just keep track of what you are eating using "point" values assigned to foods based on how many calories, fat grams and fiber grams the foods contain. It really teaches you to look at lables!

You can go to meetings, if you are a "people person" or (like me, a busy mom of young children) you can follow the program online. There are lots of simple menus and recipies. It really teaches you how to make a lifestyle change... not just diet.
    Good luck to you!
    MarigoldsMama

Answer by MarigoldsMama at 11:26 PM on May. 2, 2009