Ahh tummy time >:(

my 9 week old hates tummy time so much! I know alot of babies do but she isn't getting any better at it. She won't even try to lift her head up, she just lies there crying. I try showing her toys, getting down to her level, singing, talking, playing music but nothing will distract her.
What else can I try?

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 9:32 AM on May. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• nothing helped my daughter.. i ended up laying on my bed and laying her on her belly on top of my belly and that helped her cause she liked to look at her face and liked to hear me talk.. shes 5 months now and finally ok with tummy time.good luck!
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 9:33 AM on May. 2, 2009

• My little girl sleeps on her stomach, so when I try to do tummy time with her she thinks she has to go to sleep and starts crying. I FINALLY figured out something that works when she was 4 months old. I got a full sized mirror and propped it up sideways on the ground and laid her in front of it (she like to look at herself in the mirror). She propped herself up and watched herself in the mirror for a whole hour the first time I did it! lol it was cute, she was talking to herself and everything!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:47 AM on May. 2, 2009

• A mirror could help, like srhmldndo suggested, but also you could try propping her up using a blanket, or small pillow, so she's elevated a little bit.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:07 AM on May. 2, 2009

• If she hates it that much, I'd skip it. Both of my kids hated it, so we didn't really do it. It didn't hinder their development.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:19 AM on May. 2, 2009

• My son hated it too... until he was probably 4 months old. We just did it a few times a week for only a couple of minutes at a time... later when he was able to lift his head he didn't mind it anymore.
    You could also try tummy time on top of you... lie on the floor and put your baby on your chest... they use the same muscles to lift and everything but tend to like it more.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:41 AM on May. 2, 2009

• My 9 week old also hates tummy time. She has a condition called torticollis (twisted neck) and her physical therapist say a lot of babies with this can not stand tummy time. What we have found that works pretty good is to prop her chest on a boppy at first. she can tolerate it for a bit and then i move her to lay flat on her tummy. She cries but its getting better. We get about 10 mins with the boppy and about 3 mins on the flat floor. I would suggest using the boppy first. good luck.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:48 AM on May. 2, 2009

• did you try to lay her on top of you and you both face to face looking at each other?
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 10:51 AM on May. 2, 2009

• The mirror works wonders. My DS will stare at the mirror and try to play with the baby in it.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 10:56 AM on May. 2, 2009

• My friends son didny get enough tummy time when he was little and now the whole back of his head is completely flat from aleays laying on his back. Thier bones are still maliuble (no clue how to spell that but hopefully you know what I'm trying to say) so I would just try different things until you find something that works but deffinatly dont give up! GL!
    Anonymous