More breastfeeding questions...

How long untill my daughters(she is 3 weeks old) feedings ease up from every 2-3 hours or do they? Also how long on each side of the breast am I suppose to feed her...She tends to fall asleep on one side after 20 minutes then wake up 30 minutes later hungry again(assumingly for the other side). How do I keep her awake for a ful satifing feeding? Or is it fine to let her eat like she is? She is gaining and giving 6-8 diapers.

meagen22

Asked by meagen22 at 9:51 AM on May. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was told to start on one side and let them nurse till they are done, go change their diaper to wake them a little again and then put them to the other side. Typically my kids would nurse very little from the second side before falling back to sleep. I would then start with the side I ended on next time. You definitely need to let them finish on one side first to make sure they are getting enough hindmilk. Old school they used to tell you nurse 10 minutes on one side and then switch, but that means they rarely drain the breast and don't get as much of the fattier hindmilk which can cause problems. ALso one little tip for remembering whcih side is to put a hair tie or rubber band on your wrist. As they got older I quite doing this though (say about 6 months or so).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:53 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I think she is doing great if she is spending 20 minutes on one breast at a time. You can rub her head or her feet to try to keep her awake. And you don't have to do both breast each time. Your body will adjust to her exact needs. You'll get the hang of it. And I am proud of you for breastfeeding.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 9:58 AM on May. 2, 2009

• It sounds like everything is right on track. I'd keep doing what you are doing. You generally nurse on one breast until they come off on their own and then you offer the other breast, but it's ok if she doesn't take it. At this young age, it'll probably be a while before she goes longer in between nursing. Keep up the great work!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:58 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Mine ate every 3 hours until he was about 6 months!
    When you feed her on one side... wake her up and put her back on the same side... that will help her get more of the fatty foremilk and keep her full longer. After that side offer the other breast.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:58 AM on May. 2, 2009

• My son is 9 months old, be still nurses pretty frequently. It's fine for your daughter to nurse, sleep, and then nurse again. Actually it's really good for your milk supply too. It's better for her to nurse more frequently for shorter periods than to nurse for a long time less frequently.

Just keep nursing her when she's hungry and letting her sleep when she's tired. She's not ready for a schedule just yet anyway so don't worry about when or how long. Remember that nursing is hard work for her right now and it probably tires her out a lot.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:59 AM on May. 2, 2009

• THESE ARE GREAT ANSWERS GUYS...THANK YOU SO MUCH...Will my milk supply decrease though if i only feed on one side each time? That is my only concern.
    meagen22

Answer by meagen22 at 10:03 AM on May. 2, 2009

• It won't decrease in the sense that you will not produce enough. It WILL adapt to the demand.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:15 AM on May. 2, 2009

• It's true that nursing from only one breast will decrease your supply a little bit, but it will only decrease to what the baby is taking in. My daughter would only EVER take one breast at a time, and she only spent at most 15 minutes, even when she was newborn nursing. Now she spends 2 minutes nursng from one side and she's up and walking away from me :p

At 3 weeks you're probably still engorged if you go more than an hour between feedings, right? That's a sign that you have way plenty milk. If it does decrease a little bit it will only benefit your baby and yourself. She will get more hindmilk, which is made as the baby nurses, and you will not have to walk around with rocks for breasts :p
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:33 AM on May. 2, 2009

• That is so funny they are huge rocks right now...lol. So as she gets older she might eat often but the time it takes her to empty my breast is cut down? That sounds good. A little more free time sounds nice right now. even to play with my 2 year old son or clean the house. ha ha
    meagen22

Answer by meagen22 at 11:02 AM on May. 2, 2009

• lol...at the engorged breasts...been there! My daughter would do the same thing, just make sure your switching breasts with each feeding so your supply will be even. I think around 4-5 weeks my daughter started feeding from both sides, so your baby is on track.

Also, if you don't have a Boppy, get one....they are awesome when your breastfeeding. They fit right around your stomach and the baby rests on it while eating, so much more comfortable than holding sometimes. Also, if you baby falls asleep during feeding, try changing her diaper. Usually the cold will wake them right up and they'll go back to feeding.
    justcallmebean

Answer by justcallmebean at 11:02 AM on May. 2, 2009