Science is a religion?

Anyone believe that science has become a religion for some? Anyone believe that science and reason has replaced God for some?

Just curious as to how many really believe this. I don't. But I go to LU and they are trying to teach this to me in my humanities class. This is one of those times I wish I was taking real classes instead of online ones so I could question the professor but oh well.

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 10:59 AM on May. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You can treat it as one. I mean it is trying to answer the same questions that religion is... But I think that usually falls in to the "Athiest" category...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:02 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Well, yes, actually. I believe Scientology is based on science (not 100% on that one, though). And yes, I do believe that some worship the science God (not in a literal fashion, but you know what I mean.)
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:03 AM on May. 2, 2009

• By the way, is there a discussion board for your class? That's a great place to start conversations about this kind of stuff - I do it all the time, LOL.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:04 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Some do have the theory that science , especially certain aspects of science like evolutionism, etc, are a religion. (please do not bash me on grammar. I've had little sleep so save it for an English question please) As in, some "believe" so hard in evolution and not the God of the bible. So therefore science is their religion.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:05 AM on May. 2, 2009

• No, I don't think Science is a religion. Scientology is NOT based on science, BTW. Science fiction, maybe :P

I think the reason people say that science is "replacing" God is because early humans used to explain EVERYTHING they didn't understand with God/s. The rain was God, the volcanic eruption was God, the thunder and lightening were God...etc.
    Now we KNOW what causes those things and we don't need to attribute them to an unseen force.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on May. 2, 2009

• No one is worshiping science. People believing in science over "God" doesn't make it a religion. It's a subject containing many applicable principles and concepts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I think people can make a "religion" out of, or worship anything. I find it hard to conceptualize the idea of science as a religion. Science is the pursuit of knowledge, fact, & truth. So, I could maybe see how for an individual scientist, "science" is that persons"religion" but, on the whole no, I do not see science itself as a relgion unless someone is altering it/ or thier relationship to it. I don't think for the most part science has replaced God. I think, especially for those who don't believe in God (& even for those that do) science answers, or at least attempts to answer questions that religion may not address or give satisfactory answers for. Idk, though, JMO.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:11 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Yes, I believe science and reason has replaced God for some......like me. I don't see what's so horrible about reason. Get's me through the day just fine.

Science is not a religion though. If it was treated like some people treat other religions, then there would be loonies going around preaching "the gospel" of whatever theory they choose to be obsessed with and they'd close their minds to new information. Trusting science means you should be open to things you believe being wrong and you should be willing to accept new ideas as they're discovered.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:18 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Scientology is NOT based on science BTW...... LOL!
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:19 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I'm not sure I'd say science is a religion for some people, but it certainly does replace it for many.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 11:43 AM on May. 2, 2009