Why must it be one or the other?

I notice (often) that if you disagree with someone's POV on here; you must be a "Lib" or "Lefty" or "Right-Wing-er" or whatever...

Assume much? How do you know what their beliefs are?

Aside from the fact that people of the same party can have varying ideas as to how a situation should be handled (otherwise why would primary elections be necessary?)

The second reason would be not everyone IS one or the other. You should know there are actual 3rd parties in this country (several of them); as well as a whole segment of the population who consider themselves Independent; and base their opinions on each issue individually; sometimes coming in on the conservative side and sometimes on the liberal side.

Thoughts, opinions?

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 11:05 AM on May. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm independent. I hate our current president and everything he has done. I did vote for McCain, but that doesn't' make me a Republican.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 11:12 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I didn't vote for either of the douchebags we had to choose from this time around. Obama is a dirty bastard, just like the rest of them. Totally a Wall Street pawn. But I guess people see the world in such absolute terms that the fact that I dislike Obama means I have to be a Republican.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:20 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I voted for McCain, well actually i voted AGAINST Obama, a McCain happened to be the only one with a chance in heck of beating him. I am conservative, but no longer associate myself with the Repub. party. I think the reason you see the things you are talking about on here. is conservative and liberal arent the same as Dem and Repub, although each party has traditionally leaned to one way or the other. There are alot of middle of the road people, though.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 11:28 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Yes I realize that.I do think though that most people tend to lean more one way or the other.My self I am conservative all around which does not mean I will like any and every candidate who claims to be conservative though.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:29 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I vote where the candidate has policies that I agree with.

I have voted democratic in the past and I have voted independent and I have voted republican.

I was going to vote democrat last election until Obama got nominated, there is nothing that I agree with on his policies.

I think he was voted in just to be a historical statement and he is not qualified for this office. Left, and right wingers need to come to the middle for everyone's sake.

Right now Obama is a EXTREME LEFT WINGER and is DESTROYING our country.

I believe that we all need to be informed and Vote some people didn't even get out and vote, so sad because now we have a left wing extremest in office.

It is so sad to see what our country is becoming.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:53 AM on May. 2, 2009

• im an Independent who voted for Obama as a gesture AGAINST Palin & all-of-a-sudden uber Repub McCain. guess that makes me a Democrat hahahahaha...no. if Ron Paul had been the Repub nominee i woulda voted for him...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:55 AM on May. 2, 2009

• OP, I agree. I am conservative by nature. I get sick of being called a Republican all the time. I also get sick of being called racist because I disagree with the policies of the current administration.

I think the Democrats and Republicans are both to blame. Our biggest problems started with the abolishment of the gold standard and have multiplied from there.

I truly wish that for just a few hours people would throw "party" out the window and do some true research. Start around 1913 when the 16th amendment, the one creating income taxes, went into effect.

Ladies there is plenty of blame to go around. The wonderful thing is that WE HAVE THE POWER to make things right.

Sit down and make a list of what is most important for you and your family. What are your values? What do you want for your family's future? Then have a look at the OTHER parties out there. You just might find the perfect fit.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:03 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I am *mostly* conservative, but I am not staunchly Republican, nor am I a Democrat. I vote for whoever promises to uphold my views, and then hope to hell they do what they said they would. Which party they claim to belong to has very little to do with it, since I think both major parties are so far off base from their original guidelines it isn't funny, and most politicians are lying cheats anyway.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:17 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I do get annoyed with the generalizations. Hopefully after Obama is done messing shit up in the WH, a 3rd party candidate will have a chance to win this time.
    Anonymous

• hmmmmm -- wondering where all the "labelers" are today and why they haven't put their two cents in yet....
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:21 PM on May. 2, 2009