Car seat question

I installed my convertible seat yesterday, we will be using it instead of an infant seat, it is installed correctly but it looks like the baby will be sitting up an awful lot, not laying down more like in an infant seat. Is that right? The seat is rated for 5-40 pounds.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on May. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• How old is your baby? I didnt install mine untill she was 12 months old!! She was a tiny one through the first year and was still in the guid lines for an infant seat.
    Infant seats are recommended untill they reach the weight that it doesnt fit. Like mine was 2-30 lbs. She was 29 when we moved her into her conertable one.

mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 11:13 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Some seats I think are just made differently we have a convertable car seat and we also used it when our child was an infant if you think it sets up to high and you think maybe the baby will like slump over I would buy one of those head support things that attach to it thats what we did it works great we also use it in the stroller.
    MoMMyto2971

Answer by MoMMyto2971 at 11:14 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Yes they are slanted up right a little more in rear facing position. A lot of times it has to do with the size of the car. If you have any doubts about how the seat is installed take it to the state police or fire dept. for inspection.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 11:16 AM on May. 2, 2009

• You can put a rolled up towel under the car seat to make it recline a little bit more. I took my seat to a car seat inspection clinic and they did that, so it must be safe! :) Also, the head support cushions can help too.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 11:40 AM on May. 2, 2009

• YESSS!!! MY SON HAD ONE AND I ALSO THOUGHT HE LOOKED TO BE UNCOMFORTABLE OR SITTING UP TO MUCH THE DR RECOMMENDED A LITTLE PILLOW KNECK REST FOR AROUND HIS KNECK SO THEY WONT ROLL FORWARD OR TO THE SIDE
    mrslittle04

Answer by mrslittle04 at 3:37 PM on May. 2, 2009

• The convertible seats are a bit more upright. Take your car to a CPST to check installation. I think EVERYONE should do this, as so many car seats are installed incorrectly. Not a firestation, or police station, (unless they have a certified tech on staff). I believe if you look up safekids, they can help you find one in your area.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:04 PM on May. 2, 2009

• You will probably need to get pool noodles to recline the seat to a 45 degree angle.

Also know that for RF, the shoulder straps need to be AT or BELOW the shoulders. Some convertibles may say that they are for 5lbs, but the lowest harness slots are too high to properly fit the average newborn. If you have the Cosco Scenera, it will probably fit well. But other convertibles that only FF to 40lbs, might not be a good fit.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 6:20 PM on May. 2, 2009