Discarged from the army.

My husband was discharged from the Army years ago (it really should have been a dishonorable because of how stupid what he did was, but wasn't) after only 2 years. He still says he is X-military, but I don't think he is because I know the "whole" story. He doesn't know what I think this about that situation and that I cringe every time he touts it as something he is proud of because I think it taints the idea of what it is to serve the USA. Is there a nice way to let him know how I feel or am I doomed to let it slip out in a spat some day in the future?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on May. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• well saying you disrespect him at any point in time is probably not going to win you any points. however, the event described DOES seem to bother you incredibly. if that is more of the issue then make it a point to sit and discuss the situation and tell him how you really feel about it. knowing what kinda stuff gets you tossed out of the military, it cant be good. so if you feel that strongly about WHAT he did..discuss that. let the military thing go. i dont think he is fooling anyone anyway. yes hes "technically" a prior military member. but anyone worth a hill of beans will know that if he did 2 years then he didnt complete his enslitment and things start to add up. plus if you have to brag about it..chances are you werent worth anything as a troop anyway. good luck!
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 12:48 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Obviously I don't know what he did to get himself discharged. But regardless he IS ex-military. He DID serve. Just maybe not as honorably as others. Trust me, there are guys who do stupid crap and illegal crap and get PROMOTED.

You could just be honest and tell him how you feel. Tell him that it may hurt him, but he needs to know how you feel and not hear it during a fight.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:24 AM on May. 2, 2009

• I spelled discharged wrong, my bad!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on May. 2, 2009

• he is still ex military. why take that away from him? Because he did something stupid? everyone does something stupid some more then others lol .. don't do that to him..you need to change your view... you know what they say about people who live in glass houses right?
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:28 AM on May. 2, 2009

• He is still ex-military. And I don't think telling your SO that you disrespect him ever accomplishes anything. If it were me, I'd keep my mouth shut on this one.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 11:36 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Ask anyone who was in the Military who is proud of it and they usually dont refer to themselves as "Ex-Military." Especially the Marines. My husband was discharged OTH back in 96 and he still calls himself a Marine. I was discharged honorably in Jan this year and I would never say "Ex-Military." The only people I know who call themselves that are ones who were kicked out.

What did he do that was so terrible anyways?
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 12:06 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Yes, plenty of them get promoted, and shoudn't. It seems that the ones that actually deserve it, don't get it. How long was he in the Army? It irritates my hubby when someone who did their time, one enlistment, and through around how they were in the military. I think to those that are lifers, for someone who put in the minimum time to brag, it is irritating.
    So, what did he do to get kicked out?
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 12:14 PM on May. 2, 2009

• what good does this subject even serve if it happened years ago? let it go. If he brings it up then just ignore him. It's not worth the energy to fight over.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:33 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Well, he is technically still ex-military. But if this is something you really feel strongly about, sit down and calmly talk to him about it. The last thing you need it to have it all come tumbling out when your mad. That will only make things worse.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 12:36 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Well he is Ex military no matter how he was discharged. I have a friend that has been in over 10 years ( E-6) and just made a very stupid mistake and is doing "time" and will be dishonorable discharged when his sentence is up.. He lived for the Military, was a great soldier, deployed frequently just made a stupid mistake.. He will be ex-military as well..
    Anonymous