Truant

What do you think about my niece who has been late for school 8 times this year and absent 7 due to the fact that she refuses to get up?Did I mention she 6 and in Kindergarten?How much do her parents need to be jacked up?

TMJ121099

Asked by TMJ121099 at 11:31 AM on May. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow. If she is this way now...she is going to be HORRIBLE later on. I was never late for school ONCE until I was in high school. And my mom would never even think about me missing school unless I had a fever. I think its ridiculous and it's only going to get worse. She is 6! Make her ass get up!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:34 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Will a social worker showing up at the house shake them up? Because this is bound to get worse as she gets older. They can end up in court or even in jail if it gets bad enough.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on May. 2, 2009

• They can take her mom to truancy court.....yikes.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:56 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Poor kid, stuck with those awful parents. Maybe you can take her for an extended visit to get her out of that toxic environment.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:05 PM on May. 2, 2009

• They have to go to court soon.She's been hanging around the wrong crowd already.We predict if they don't get off their a$$es soon she'll be in jail or pregnant by 13!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:32 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Perhaps you could volunteer to help with the girl. Give her some guidance and stability. Buy her an alarm clock. Talk with her about responsiblity. Give her little suprises for getting up and going to school.

I dont know, it just seems its better to be pro active then sit around pointing fingers and talking about things that you can help with.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 3:51 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Well she hates me because I'm a pro-active type of parent,and hers are obviously the opposite passive type.She won't talk to me,or even look at me when I try to talk to her.I'm "mean".It's not her fault.They have let her get away with so much in the short time she's been on earth.I've tried to talk to the parents,but they just brush it off.I don't think its the child's responsibility to get herself up,not at 6! I also don't think you should be rewarded for doing what is expected of you.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:33 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I dont think a 6 year old should be getting them selves up or that rewards should be given out when doing what is expected all the time either but sometimes there are circumstances that you just have to look outside the "normal" box. This is one of them. I would still be pro active with your niece. Even if she "hates you".
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:41 AM on May. 3, 2009