What to do....

Ok so for almost six months i was on prozac and i basically faded into nonexistence. I didnt care about anything, do anything, i just laid on the couch and withered. So at the request of my husband, I stopped taking it. Whick was a long wheening off process, and now im comppletely off of it and i CARE about stuff again, and my husband is having a hard time dealing with it because for the last six months all he did was ignore me and play computer games. so he was playing the computer ALL day yesterday while i did laundrey dishes ect. i didnt complain once. But our daughter was all up under me and i asked if he could get her. He proceeded to stand up shove the chair and cuss and yell that everytime he's in the middle of something i ALWAYS need his help. BULL!!! I didnt ask for one thing ALL day!!!! What should i do? Suggestions?

collegemom1007

Asked by collegemom1007 at 11:43 AM on May. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• There's nothing wrong with needing a little help try talking to him about it when nothings going on and before any argument men like to help but they also like to gripe about helping that's something I will never understand. Just like kids like to know what to expect ( like bedtime routines) I find it works with men as well let him know what help you need ahead of time and they like to be praised as well... very silly but kids and grown men have alot in common in this area. If you avoid asking for help when you need it and take on too much yourself it's gonna breed resentment.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 11:51 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Just talk with him about the fact that "everything old is new again". You were a different person on Prozac and now that you're off it, you're a different person again. Making adjustments is necesarry, so discuss things and come to agreements on things both of you can do to help ne another adjust. It's going to be fine if you guys communicate.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:53 AM on May. 2, 2009

• He asked you to ween off the prozac? And now he can't deal with things. Huh. He needs to grow up and take care of his wife and kids. Prozac obviously wasn't right for you. None of the antidepressants worked for me. Bipolar med does. Maybe you don't need antidep. Maybe you are bipolar. I don't see myself as being the typical description, but the med works. My husband knows more then I do. We don't fight like before, and I am happier. I do have down days, but not as before. Now, as for your husband. I would say that talking with him will help, but I don't think he's ready for that. Do you have a therapist? You should go, and get him to go to a session, even just to listen. It will help him to understand you better, and then you can communicate with each other better. I do hope things get better, but as with anything, it will take work.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 12:18 PM on May. 2, 2009

• ask him for what things you are "allowed" to ask help from him. Ask him if it's ok to ask him for child help, for chore help, if the house burns down help....does he expect you to do everything by yourself? If so, that might be the reason for your depression. Set down boundaries and expectations with each other....and time limits on those dumb video games men tend to be addicted to!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:39 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Um, unless he's a doctor, he should'nt be telling you to get off any medication.
    Candice369

Answer by Candice369 at 8:12 PM on May. 2, 2009