What do you think of HR848-Performance Rights Act?

Now correct me if I'm wrong here...

Orig if you wanted to make it to the big time in music; you rec'ded a tape and then either via mail; or door to door; sent it around to radio stations hoping someone would like it and play it; & then someone would notice you...right?

Get the music to the airwaves so the public knows the artist and wants to buy their albums...and the station makes out because they get listeners who want to hear this "great" music; which increases their ratings thus increasing their advertising income...

The Gov't has decided; in a nut shell; radio stations should pay the artists a royalty fee every time their song is aired.

Am I the only one who realizes that w/o stations playing their newly released singles; their albums wouldn't sell squat?

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 11:50 AM on May. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:50 AM on May. 2, 2009

• More government interference in business. How long until they just own everything?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:53 AM on May. 2, 2009

• My thought exactly yourspecial
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:54 AM on May. 2, 2009

My thought exactly yourspecial

DITTO!
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:57 AM on May. 2, 2009

• OH geez, and how much of that money will be going to the government? lol.
    Anonymous

• I actually heard an ad about this on the radio the other day - asking listeners to contact their reps and tell them this is a bad idea...that's the only reason I even know this is happening...

What else are they doing while we're not looking?
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:20 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Good question beach and I do believe there is alot of smoke and mirrors action going on.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:24 PM on May. 2, 2009

• There is already stuff like this in place. Thats what ASCAP is for. Stupid bastards.
    kittymommy

Answer by kittymommy at 12:41 PM on May. 2, 2009

• OOOO I get what they are doing, why I don't know because artists rights are throughly protected by ASCAP, but this is the deal ALL DIGITAL MEDIA. That could bleed over into the internet, youtube, limewire all that anything digital. Yeah thats what it is.
    kittymommy

Answer by kittymommy at 12:45 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Considering how many songs by how many artists are played daily, how long until most of the radio stations go bankrupt...
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 1:15 PM on May. 2, 2009