any ideas?

My husband and I just found out that his cousin has to get his leg cut off because of diabetes, today while in the hospital he went into a siezure because of his sugar levels dropping so low- this made me think about the way were living and eating and I really want to get my family (especially my kids) on a better track of health so we wont ever have to experience any of this (God willing) do any of you fellow cm's have any ideas on how we can start living eating and being healthier people? what do you do to stay healthy? What are your diets like? Where should I start? Any ideas are welcome thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on May. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well I will tell you, the eating right part will be HARD if your family is used to processed convenience and junk foods. My family is getting into much healthier eating. Here's what I recommend: switch from ground beef to ground turkey, eat whole grain breads and pastas, not white. Base your meals around vegetables and your snacks around fresh fruits. There are healthy, inexpensive, and delicious recipes I use daily. If you would like some, please PM me as it is too much to put here. My kids are somewhat picky eaters and they didn't notice the switch to healthier foods at all.

For exercise, if you live in a decent area I recommend family walks before dinner each night if possible. Walking 2-3 miles (about an hour long walk at a good pace), will help. Also you could try your local YMCA and look into getting a membership. It is expensive (over $100 a month for a family of 5), but they do have financial assistance grants.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:09 PM on May. 2, 2009

• exercise and eat right.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 12:04 PM on May. 2, 2009

• The biggest change we made diet wise was starting to eat fresh foods. I got rid of pretty much everything in my house that was "pre-packaged" If you eat fresh foods, you will cut down on sodium, preservatives....etc...
    It is a little bit more expensive, but your and your family's health is worth it!
    Good Luck!
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 12:05 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I agree with PP! We eat a lot of fresh foods too. Not a whole lot of pre packaged stuff for us. If you want waffles, make them from scratch or a mix, don't get them frozen, I also try to have a well rounded diet that includes foods from almost every group. And of course excersize. Try and get out and do activites as much as possible, there are a ton of ideas online for fun outside family activites!
    apattinson

Answer by apattinson at 12:10 PM on May. 2, 2009