any ideas? also asked in just for fun

My husband and I just found out that his cousin has to get his leg cut off because of diabetes, today while in the hospital he went into a siezure because of his sugar levels dropping so low- this made me think about the way were living and eating and I really want to get my family (especially my kids) on a better track of health so we wont ever have to experience any of this (God willing) do any of you fellow cm's have any ideas on how we can start living eating and being healthier people? what do you do to stay healthy? What are your diets like? Where should I start? Any ideas are welcome thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on May. 2, 2009 in Health

• i'm sorry about this! I hope he heals ok! what I've been doing is slow changes. I've been getting whole grain breads and pasta, offering more vegetables in meals, drinking more water, and I try to stick with organic or local foods!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:01 PM on May. 2, 2009

• What we mainly did was switch our "fatty" unhealthy foods out for healthier versions.
    Instead of ground beef we now use ground turkey. Instead of whole milk we drink 2%. Instead of canned veggies we buy frozen or fresh.
    We also cut out most snack foods. If I want to make a cake or brownies or something, I replaced the oils, eggs and water with a can of pumpkin or kidney beans. You can't taste the difference, and it makes those things so much better for you.
    It takes some getting used to but it is not hard, especially if you're serious about getting healthy.

Here's a useful site: http://www.hungry-girl.com/
    SotilSol

Answer by SotilSol at 12:08 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I'm diabetic. I follow the South Beach Plan. My doctor approved it. It's broken my cravings for the unhealthy carb-laden foods AND I've lost weight and 6 inches around my waist in the three weeks I've been on it. My cholesterol and blood pressure have dropped. My husband and two of my sons have chosen to follow the plan too. We feel great and have plenty of energy.

Cut out all but lean cuts of beef and chicken and fish. Use healthy fats like olive oil to cook with. LOTS of veggies, raw, frozen or juiced. Raw fruits like apples, pears and peaches. High fiber cereals and whole GRAIN breads only. Limit carbs like pasta, breads, potatoes, rice, peas, corn and squash. Eggs, skim cheese, non fat plain yogurt, cottage or ricotta cheese are good to have. A treat every now and then is okay. The SB Plan has plenty of very tasty recipes, and I mean GREAT TASTING! I found recipes on www.recipezaar.com and everyone raves!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:50 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Invest in a cookbook for diabetics. It will be worth the money. Also, cut down on sweets. If you notice that you and/or your family OD on sugar, try to stop. Consult a doctor and get your blood sugar tested as well as your family's as soon as possible. If weight is an issue, have your loved one consult a doctor about a good diet. Use the food pyramid and avoid diet foods. Weight watchers is better that Jenny Criag because of the sodium level of those foods.
    aimeesbaby2005

Answer by aimeesbaby2005 at 3:25 PM on May. 2, 2009