18 kids and counting?...

How do you feel about families such as that Duggar clan that have so many kids it starts to look like the older children are raising the younger siblings? You watch the show and really never see mom doing much of anything...

mizsaxton

Asked by mizsaxton at 12:19 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I agree. I don't think its fair to each child b/c they do not get enough one on one attention with each parent. I mean she's probably different when the camera is off her, but I still think it is the older children raising the younger ones. That's just too many children for one mother!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 12:24 PM on May. 2, 2009

• i think its too much yeah they provide but whats the point if something significant like a wedding has to happen for the kid to get attention
    armyissuedwife2

Answer by armyissuedwife2 at 12:32 PM on May. 2, 2009

• IMO I think it's greed. I think it's as much a sin to have that many children and live off the shows proceeds as it is to get pregnant with 8 babies when you already have 6 at home. I think what makes people look at it differently is that they are a "christian" family and so that makes it "ok". I felt guilty when I got pregnant with our 3rd because my last 2 are 13 months apart and didn't want anyone to think I was having one right after the other. Plus I didn't want my 1st and 2nd to feel left out because of the new baby. So we stopped at 3 and feel very blessed.
    We don't watch the show, it's not something I want our kids to think is right, as well as all the other mulitple shows, that's not what God intended, it's too much exposure for such innocent little people(i mean the kids on tv), JMO.
    Anonymous

• I think it's ridiculous. I seen one episode of them going to like a bargain place trying to get matching shoes out of a bin. Apparently that means you can't afford the many children you have. I mean, if you can afford it and give each kid the same love as the next, then by all means.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 12:34 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I personally think it's crazy, however it's not through their religion. They are part of the Quiverfull movement, which believes that every child is a gift of God and is against any sort of family planning to prevent pregnancy. Honestly, they can afford their children, they are all healthy, respectful and look to be hardworkers. Google Quiverfull Movement, it's pretty interesting.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 12:57 PM on May. 2, 2009

• ok first of all- if u have ever seen the show u would know that the kids love the big family! they love helping the mom and the mom certainly isnt not doing anything- she does a ton- but they actually understand the whole family thing and work together and i dont think thats anything to down- second of all- they go to places like bargain places not because they cant afford anything but because they are frugal and would rather buy gently used things and reuse them than to buy brand new things and be wasteful like so many other families are now a days, have u ever seen their house? and if u really watch the show u would know that they have a bunch of rental properties as well that bring in income- so they have enough money to raise and support their family- and third of all- these arent test tube babies and they are not having kids just to have their own show- their oldest is in his 20s and just got married- they have been
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:09 PM on May. 2, 2009

• cont. they have been having children for a while and i think its a beautiful thing that they are doing Gods will by going out and multiplying like in the bible and at least they are not aborting or anything like that- theyre not on welfare they are raising up great kids and i think its awesome! i would do it too if i were able to- shoot who knows wut God has in store for me- maybe that will be me! im already on my 5th! i think before u start to criticise people u should really know wut is the truth and wut is going on with them before jumping up and saying its crazy stupid or ridiculous!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:13 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I think the people who are so against it are just because their own few kids are such holy terrors that they feel stupid for not being able to adequately parent the 1 or 2 they have. Then they look at this family with all the children they have and they are all respectful, good kids because they have  been parented well. If more parents were as committed to raising respectable children as the Duggers, we'd have a lot less divorce and a lot less babies born to unwed couples, as well as a lot less daddy-less children, a whole lot less abortions, less crime, way less domestic violence, probably less poverty, and on and on... it's a shame that a family that has such strong moral conviction & such high character is looked at as being  "odd". Sort of tells us how far down our society has fallen. Again, I think it's jealousy on the part of those parents who have not given their all to their own children.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 1:55 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I totally agree with lovelyli217....You have to watch the show to understand. The Duggers' are NOTHING like Octomom! And to compare the 2 is ridiculous! The octomom is a looney and Michelle Dugger is loving...PLUS to say Michelle Dugger does nothign is complete crap! She home schools each child and they, as a family, built that house themselves! They own rentals to support themselves not welfare or any other gov't assistance, UNLIKE the wack job octomom
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 1:55 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I do watch the show and the older kids home school the younger kids... I want my kids to have a childhood not raise their siblings get married and then start their own family right away kids need to be kids at some point not 5 year old tatertot casserole makers and "2nd" moms to their brothers and sisters... watch the show the kids cook, clean,do all the laundry and bathe the other kids... whats left for her to do really? If the average mom does these things everyday she's too sleepy to get pregnant once a year for 2 decades running!
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 2:18 PM on May. 2, 2009