Not wanting to go to sleep...

My daughter is 3 years old. She has never been a good nap taker, but now has pretty much stopped taking naps all together. She MAY take an hour nap 2 times a week. But the problem we are now having is at night time. We have a bed time routine, and a bed time, that is the same almost every night (every once in a while she misses bed time by 30 minutes or so). She goes to bed between 8:30 and 9 every night, but its taking her until close to midnight to actually go to sleep. I dont know what to do to help her. I have tried letting her go play for a while right after supper, skipping naps, getting up earlier and none of that works. Her daddy is deployed right now, and I wonder if that has something to do with it. Does any one have any advice?

abbynzachsmommy

Asked by abbynzachsmommy at 12:26 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh Girl. We are having the same problems. It seems with summer, it only gets worse. My granddaughter is 4. My daughter also has a 1 year old. They both sleep in the same room, so what she does is lay her in her bed and the baby in her bed and puts in a quiet video to watch. The baby goes right to sleep, but the 4 year old just has to lay in her bed and be quiet. She usually falls asleep like this, but sometimes not. She likes to get up and see what everyone else is doing. I guess just be consistant. Keep putting her in her bed and trying different things until you find something that works.
    Anonymous

• I think you just need to keep doing what you are doing. I might be because Dad is deployed but unfortunately, that isn't going to change any time soon. So, I would pray with her before bed. Maybe try and help her memorize "I will never leave thee nor forsake thee". Give her some comfort. Maybe a special shirt or something of daddy's. (Which I feel foolish for suggesting because you have probably already done that.) And just keep doing what you are doing. Her body needs sleep and eventually she'll settle back in. OH - you also might try getting the Bible on tape or CD and playing that in her room for her at bed time. My pastor has suggested that for people before.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 12:55 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Play "hide the book game" in her room. Hide it, ask her to look for it and when he finds it, read it (book should be about going to bed http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=23 . Put on an audio story tape (listen and not need to keep her eyes open like for tv (Listening Library  http://www.randomhouse.com/audio/listeninglibrary/?ref=saslistlib&name=128205   If she gets out of bed, you will not play the hide the book game the next night at bedtime. Follow the routine for SIX WEEKS. It takes that long to build a habit!. 

momjs

Answer by momjs at 3:59 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Just be consistant, let her know she is NOT to get out of bed! She will lay in there, get bored and relax enough to fall asleep. Maybe buy a 'lullaby' CD and put it on. TV is not really a good idea for putting kids to sleep mainly because the light and the movie stimulates the brain and it's not as healthy for a child than just relaxing in the dark and going to sleep. It could be because of daddy being away, maybe put a picture somewhere that you can have her say goodnight to and kiss everynight, when you say your prayers make sure you pray for daddy so she knows that he's being taken care of by God so there's no reason to worry. Just keep doing what you're doing and be stern with her, don't let her stay up because you feel 'bad' because once you start she won't let you stop and it'll just get harder!
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 10:17 PM on May. 2, 2009