Do you let your kids watch PG-13 or R movies?

I have a friend whose 9 year old son is apparently allowed to watch these type of movies. He told my son (also 9) that he saw a mans penis and balls bouncing around on a movie he watched. I would NEVER allow that! I am amazed at the things this kid is exposed to.

It seems like quite a few kids are allowed to watch PG13 these days. I know it depends on the movie, some are better than others, but for the most part I think they are rated that way for a reason and 9 years old is too young for some of the elements of those movies. Am I crazy?

goldenfox

Asked by goldenfox at 12:31 PM on May. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• My boys are 4 and 3 yrs old. So no, they dont watch those movies. And i even regulate the G rated movies.
    IMHO a 9 yr old should not be allowed to watch most pg13 or R rated movies. ...but to each their own.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:35 PM on May. 2, 2009

• My kids are 9, 10 & 16 and we allow them to watch PG-13 and the younger ones are allowed to watch some rated R movies, the 16yr old can watch whatever he wants. I know the one you are talking about and we took the kids to go see it in the movie theater but once we realized how bad it was I took the girls into another theater. If a movie just has bad language in it that doesn't bother us.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:42 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Just curious - what movie is it that has that scene in it??
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 12:45 PM on May. 2, 2009

• It depends on the movie. My dd is 7 and my ds is 4. Most of the time we watch those movies when our kids are in bed. On the rare occasions that we watch them while they are up if there is any nudity the movie is turned off.
    As far as swearing on the movie if it's here and there ( 4-5 times throught the movie) I'll let them watch it. I've taught them that those are inappropriate words for kids and even adults to use. They are going to hear it at school and I'd rather them know what is ok and what is not. I have yet to hear any swear words out of either of my kids mouth. My kids aren't even allowed to use the word 'stupid'.
    As for violence both my kids do karate and know what they see on tv/movies isn't real and that fighting is a last resort and even then they block and not return punches unless absolutley necessary.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:19 PM on May. 2, 2009

• It depends on the movie. I would not let my 9 year old watch a movie that has sex or nudity. I am not a prude and really quite liberal. But I want my child to remain a child for as long as possible. So if an occassional cuss word comes out of a movie then my 9 year might be able to watch it. If it is all profanity then probably not. I also might let my 10 or 11 year old watch Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan. Depends on his maturity level and how sensitive the kid is. While those movies are hard to take it does show the actual brutality of war and comes closer to depicting the circumstances and events that took place in WWII. So I would have to say movies depend on the age, the content, and the purpose of the movie. Damn being a parent is hard work. Everything has to be considered. Just have to use best judgement.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the movie. When my kids were under 13, there were PG 13 and R movies that we let them watch (Star Wars III comes to mind). BUT - my dh and I always watched them first to see if we felt they were inappropriate.

Now that my kids are older (16 and 15), I don't screen the PG 13 so much, but I still do the R rated movies. However, thankfully, they've got a pretty good sense of appropriate and not appropriate. For example, my dd and her friend went to see Love Guru (when it was at the theater) it's PG 13, and they were both over 13. Part way into it, They thought it was inappropriate and tacky, so they got up and left. (Calling to let us know that they were going to walk around the mall instead, and why.)

But NO - I wouldn't be letting a 9 yr old watch some man's penis bouncing around on screen...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:06 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Seeing a naked person is a bit much for that age. But I don't really go by ratings when determining what my son watches. Hell, for his birthday (he will be 3) we are taking him to see Transformers 2 because he loves machines, cars and the first movie. It will probably be rated PG-13 but I don't see it as that harmful.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:29 PM on May. 2, 2009

• My kids are 8, 7, 6 and 3 and they are allowed to watch pretty much any PG-13 movie. R movies are much more censored but they are allowed to watch some. I don't think they are a big deal. I used to watch anything as a kid and I didn't turn out depraved or anything.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:55 PM on May. 2, 2009

• My kids are 9 & 11. I let them watch SOME PG-13 movies. I don't mind bad language, they have heard it before. I avoid stuff with sex scenes or sex themes. A little violence, okay, but not a lot. It really depends on the movie.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:08 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I don't censor shows, but also just like right now where I'm on computer while my child and I are watching a cartoon. I watch television with them. They are like my husband and I and prefer other things than television so when they do watch it's usually as a family just chilling in front of something entertaining. The rated "R", or "PG13" movies they've seen do not show things they don't know exist already, my children know not to talk about certain things, they know television isn't real and it's a bunch of actors 'acting out a story-line'. I would not let my child watch television with the kind of nudity that your sons friend is exposed to, especially at that age.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 3:38 PM on May. 2, 2009