Finally Potty Trained... What Now?

My daughter will be three in July. She has been using the toilet for 3 weeks straight now with only one accident in the car. Now I have no clue how to potty train her at night. She goes when she first wakes up but she pees in her pull up at night. She even tells me that she has to go when we are out of the house. I am proud. Is it to early to try to night train her though?

Christyn_05_kc

Asked by Christyn_05_kc at 12:33 PM on May. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nope, it's not too early. Limit her fluid intake before bed. Make sure she pees before bed and first thing in the morning. Somehow, my son managed to learn this right away, I'm not even really sure how. I chalk it up to he was more then ready. But, don't give her anything to drink within an hour of bedtime, and at bedtime, have her go potty. Let her know that if she wakes up and feels like she has to go, that she can go right to the bathroom like a big girl. She'll get it. Also, I stopped putting my son in pull ups at night. (this can get messy, i suggest a plastic matress cover, or garbage bag under the fitted sheet.)
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:37 PM on May. 2, 2009

• i did what the pp said but since i went to bed later than she did i would get her up and take her the bathroom.... she would always pee and had no trouble going back to sleep... she was night potty trained at 26 months...
    xanayda

Answer by xanayda at 12:46 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I agree with the pp's. Also though, not to discourage you with this, but some kids are just heavier sleepers than others, and some have a harder time with this. She could catch on really fast, or it could take time, or she might struggle with bedtime accidents for years.

Just work with her and be patient. Praise her when she makes it through the night without an accident. Then just be matter of fact about it when she does have one, without making a big deal over it.

Hang in there though, she will get it eventually :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:09 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I didn't bother with night training; right before my son's 5th birthday he stopped peeing in his pull-up all on his own.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:48 PM on May. 2, 2009

• 5???? that's crazy to have a 5 year old still peeing his bed at night!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on May. 6, 2009